Let's Talk Espresso Machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I was toying around with getting into brewing my own espresso. Then something pushed me over the edge.

I've been doing a fair bit of research and found a great site: www.coffeegeek.com

The site has reviews of machines, grinders, etc.

I did my research and had settled on a good beginner machine: the Starbucks Barista made by Saeco. It got very good reviews on that site and came highly recommended as a good first machine. They retail for around $449.

I walked into Starbucks and they WERE ON CLEARANCE for $99! I asked for one and the guy told me they only had the demo left. I stopped at another Starbucks on the way home and they only had the demo left. I got home and immediately started calling around. NOTHING! I spoke to a very helpful manager who called some friends who were managers and she said they were all gone in this area. She told me to go back and get one of the demos, which I did. I got the dark graphite colored one.

They took an extra 10% off and threw in free espresso pods (I'm not a big fan of their coffee - overly bitter - but free works.)

Long story short, I got a new espresso machine for $95 total. If you've been considering it, get in on this deal now while you still can! Good luck!:mug:

Nice score.

Here's one of mine.

pict0004if8.jpg

You're gonna love it Orpheus. Espresso & cappuccino that is much better than what Starbucks serves, for a fraction of the price.

I think you'll find the pods disappointing, by the time they get the coffee ground and ensconsed in paper, there is no way it can be fresh. Find a local provider where you can buy small quantities of freshly roasted beans and a nice burr grinder. I keep a handful of decaf pods around for "those" people...

Here's my home machine:

Gaggie Coffee de Luxe

And the fully auto machine at the office:

DeLonghi Magnifica

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back