Cleaning out a closed bar, what treasures should I look for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siouxbee

Reaction score
It looks like I may get the chance to clean out a bar that closed. It looks like they just locked the doors and never came back one night as the kitchen sink is full of dishes. There isn't any power yet, so I am not sure what else is hiding under the bar or in the dark and scary kitchen. I did not notice any kegs, but I did see pour spigots and taps and wall taps. I hadn't even considered kegging at this stage in my brewing career, but if we are doing a cleanout, I want to make sure I'm not throwing away "good stuff," Is there anything I really should be keeping my eyes peeled for? Anything that can't be sterilized and should just go in the dumpster? It will be another couple of weeks before I find out/get in but it just occured to me as I was dreaming about using the upstairs apartment for the ciderhouse/brew room.
Thanks in advance!

All those little bits of hardware between the faucet and the keg (except any kegs since those are not the property of the bar) are probably worth saving. This also includes regulators, manifolds, etc. hooked up to the CO2 system. Speaking of which, there is probably a perfectly good CO2 tank sitting around somewhere that is worth keeping.

Many bars serve beers out of systems like the image I attached below. If you find one or more of those, the whole thing is worth keeping.

185dd941_bk_xlg.jpg

Look for co2 tanks, regulators, sanke keg couplers, beer towers, faucets, shanks, drip trays, kegs, anything stainless. Maybe they even have some cool glasses

What an awesome opportunity! If you find a ton of extra bits of hardware, you can put them up in the classified section. It seems like lots of people are looking for manifolds, so try to get as many of those as you can! :) The tap handles are definitely worth taking as well. :)

Take any beer signage off the walls. I don't know how much they go for in the states but in Canada you can get upwards of $150 dollars for a neon beer light.

Take any beer signage off the walls. I don't know how much they go for in the states but in Canada you can get upwards of $150 dollars for a neon beer light.

Depending on the age of the bar:

Coasters
Point of sale items
Trays
Interesting glassware/bottles
And as stated above any neons

bosco

The place has been closed for about 5 years. I need to get back inside and look around, but right now in the negotiations it looks like the owners now want to handle the clean out of the restaraunt/bar themselves. That will actually save time, but I will keep my eyes peeled if they miss anything. :)

Back