Keezer Project!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runt23

Reaction score
I must say, I am pretty excited - I'm going to be making a keezer in the next week or so!

I am new to brewing and only have made a couple of batches of extract and bottled it, but I am already ready to step it up and buy a keg and make a keezer.

I was looking at this online and it seems to be my best bet for a starter kit for me and considering is local, its better too. http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=1keg+kegerator+pass+through

Next step is to find a freezer. I have been looking on Kijiji and craigslist for any deals.

I definitely suggest just buying a new keezer. IMO I looked for so long and only saw nasty dirty ones for around 75 to 100 dollars. I bought a new 5.1 cu feet holiday from Loews at 129 using an old price tag someone had posted on here ( it was a lowes price tag from like 2009, but the guy matched me anyways.)

Youll save that much in electricity and peace of mind knowing that it'll run for a long time. I'd hate to see you build a killer keezer and have it fail because someone blew out the compressor.

I know it costs more, but shop around, look online, make some sales people say uncle!

Hi

You will spend a couple hundred dollars buying the "stuff" that turns your freezer into a keeper. Conversion cost goes up a bit with the number of taps, but not as much as you might think.

The cheapest freezer I can buy new around here is just a bit below $200. Let's say that gets you into the $400 to $500 range once it's converted. Net result is a setup that will not fit a commercial 1/2 bbl keg. For another $100 I can fit a 1/2 bbl keg. For another $100 over that I can fit *TWO* 1/2 bbl kegs. Yes indeed I'm up to the $600 to $700 range at this point. Amazingly the footprint of the gizmo has only grow by about a foot in each direction.

How do I know all this ....I'm on my the second (or third or fourth depending on what counts) keezer in roughy two months. Indeed three are four freezers running around here getting converted or on order.

Bob

Back