Alcoholic Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zandrsn

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping to find a good recipe for an alcoholic ginger beer somewhere between Left Hand's JuJu Gingerbeer and a Blenheim's or similar spicy gingerbeer.

I've tried it once and I had great ginger flavor, but it was WAY too dry. Basically undrinkable without the addition of simple syrup in the glass. Any thoughts?

I just bottled a strong ginger beer last week. Here's what I did.

7 lbs Light DME
1/2 lbs honey
1.5 lbs fresh ginger chopped and then crushed with a mortar and pestle
0.25 oz Nugget (12%) to counteract for some of the sweetness from the malt

Boiled DME with 2 gallons of water with most of the ginger (maybe 1 lb) and the hops for 1 hour. Add honey and the rest of the ginger at flameout, chill to pitching temp, then into the fermentor with US-05. I left all of the ginger in the fermentor as well and it didn't cause any issues.

OG was something like 1.075, but it was difficult to get a good reading because of the foam. Didn't take a FG reading.

It's been in the bottle for a week and it tastes great! It has a really nice warmth from the ginger plus a bit of an alcohol kick. I'm thinking about making a stronger version as a Winter warmer. My only complaint is that it's a little on the sweet side. I might add more bittering hops next time and maybe make a starter to make sure it finishes out a little lower.

Back