Harvest in July

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I have second year hops, 3 plants, 2 Cascade and 1 Nugget. They began coming up in late April and I cut them back until the first or second week of May. Now, here it is the first week of July and I have what look like hop cones that are ready to pick. Some are 1-2" long, feel papery and are starting to brown at the top. Is it too early to pick these or is this normal. Last year I didn't pick until September, that is why this seems odd to me. TIA.

From my tiny bit of hop knowledge it sounds like either there is a problem with them or you're going to get hops early this year. I'll be curious to see what others have to say.

B

I'm a novice too. This is my 2nd year. Last year, my Nugget & Cascades were harvested at the very end of August. While the Nugget were a bit dry, the cascades were more green. It is hard to imagine them being ready 2 months early! ~:/

Are they getting enough water? Perhaps the brownig is a lack of water or nutrients?

Dunno....
--LexusChris

I have large cascade cones currently on my 3rd year plant. Didn't harvest the past 2 years because of various reasons, but am planning on harvesting in the next few days. But again, novice here as well...

If they seem ready, pick them before they turn brown. Early harvests often allow another couple ambitious shoots (or mutant lower laterals) to make a run to the top. Maybe you can get more before the end of growing season. I pulled 13 oz. of first-year Chinook from three plants three days ago, which was much earlier than usual, but it beats watching nice hops go bad because you waited too long...been there. :drunk:

Plus, aren't you itching to pitch them into a batch? :rockin:

Take a few cones and rub them between your hands. If they smell like the characteristic smell of that variety then pick them. Sometimes hops will do uncharacteristic things during their establishment period and may throw some good hops early or late so all you can do is make a guess at this point. There are a lot of variables so I don't think there is a patented answer to your question and that's the problem with agriculture especially when exposed to such a wide audience with the internet. You'll figure it out, I'm sure. It took me 25 or so years and I'm still not there yet! Have a great 4th!

Here are some pictures of my cascades:

hops1.JPG

hops2.JPG

hops3.JPG

cascade1.JPG

With just a handful of backyard plants, you might want to pick the ready ones now and then go back and get the rest when they are ready. I find that mine are often on different schedules so it requires multiple harvests. Now if we had 400 plants that likely wouldn't be feasible.

Based on the pictures, some definitely look ready, evidenced by some browning at the tips of the hops in one of your close-up shots. Nice work!

my 2 year centennial is about like yours and i thought it was weird but thats the only one, my 3 yr cascades and 2 yr colombus are just starting to form cones. They look tasty but if they where mine id leave them on for a week or so . cheers

Back