3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still, well on the two batches I brewed, using the original recipe as it turned out great. I have never had FFF Zombie Dust. I would say that if you are trying to duplicate the original I would drop the wheat malt out I think, and I would also add more of the Caramel to get that little darker appearance that I saw in the "original" picture.

1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 24.0 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.3 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.67 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.67 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

I plan to brew this next weekend and I am a little confused with this hops. I see it says FWH but than it also says 20 mins, so are you putting it in at FWH time (first sparge) or waiting til 20 mins left in the boil?

I put the FWH in at sparge, then boiled the whole 60 minutes. Since the "perceived bittness" of FWH is that it tastes more like a 20 minute addition that is what I put into beersmith to more accurately calculate perceived ibus.

Are you doing the most recent I posted? I have been meaning to but have been traveling a lot so havent had time to do it. I think it will be good and plan to do it this sat or next at the latest.

I'm brewing the following recipe today to judge the difference in flavor and color and appearance from what I have been doing (very first recipe in thread).

Boil Size: 7.20 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.8 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
8.0 oz Dextrin (Carapils) Malt (1.3 SRM) Grain 4 3.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.8 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %

0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 6 16.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 23.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 13.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 8.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 4.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -

I will continue to post updates and results to this thread.

I just kegged my 2nd 5 gallon batch that turned out fantastic. I need to get over to Munster again as it's been over 3 months since I've had the real thing. My recipe is very close to Skeezer's post #34 recipe but without the Munich and using a different hop schedule. Mine's not as bitter at 48 IBU as FFF rated theirs at 50.

I question the use of 3 oz of Citra for dry hopping a 5 gallon batch. One ounce seems to be plenty for my taste.

I might try to go a bit darker next time as well with the Munich and Caramel 60 vs Caramel 40.

Even so this is 5 gallons of the best damn beer I've ever made!

Size: 5.24 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 207.62 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.062 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 10.71 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 6.13% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 48.3 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
11 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lb Melanoidin Malt
.5 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
.5 lb Caramel Malt 40L
1 oz Citra™ (12.3%) - added first wort, boiled 20.0 min
.5 oz Citra™ (12.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
1.5 oz Citra™ (12.3%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Citra™ (12.3%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1 ea Fermentis Safale US-05

Single infusion mash at 156F for 60 minutes.
Water profile: RO water base add 1 tsp gypsum 1 tsp calcium chloride

This recipe looks awesome. I'm gonna brew it up partial-mash style within 2 weeks. Can't wait for some late summer/early fall homebrewed APA. (IPA for all you style rule freaks)

Also, skeezer, can you please clarify your hop schedule for me?

If I understand correctly, is it the following, in chronological order?
20min boil left - .75oz (the first hops to go into the boil, period)
15 min left - 1.25 oz
10 min left - 1.25 oz
5 min left - 2/3 oz
1 min left - 2/3 oz
DRY HOP - 3oz

Is that correct? I noticed the times were a little jumbled in your recipe, and I expected there to possibly be a hopping at initial boil, just from the few beers I've brewed in the past.

Also, I'll be using a Wyeast. Would you recommend either 001 (california common) or 1056 (american ale)?

The "20 minute" First Wort Hop is added during sparging and boiled the whole 60 minutes. I put it in beersmith as a 20 minute addition because FWH bitterness tastes different than normal hop additions (it is a smoother bitterness). Doing that more accurately calculates the perceived ibus.

So to clarify- add the FWH to the first runnings, then boil the whole 60 minutes.

The rest of the additions you listed are correct.

As far as yeast goes, 1056 and US-05 are the same strain. I use 05 because it is half the price and higher cell count.

Brewed my third batch of this yesterday, this time closer to post 34, and I did post my exact thing a few posts back.

Missed my OG a bit, think my water calculation was off and thus I used too much. I too am using 05, and it is bubbling faster than 1 every second at the moment. Even though I missed my OG I still think it will be around 5%, maybe 4.5%. The important thing is the flavor, and I want to compare this next to the first recipe and see which one I like best.

Will keep everyone posted.

The 20min boil entry is actually first wort hops which means you put them into the pot as you're lautering. They're in the pot for the whole boil.

The bittering effect from first wort hopping is about the same as if you put them in with 20 minutes remaining.

Citra is a high alpha acid hop that you wouldn't want to boil for 60 minutes.

Any recommendations on how to perform this First Wort Hopping for a partial mash? I'm thinking perhaps, putting them into the pot as I sparge, just after mashing is complete. Although I'm not sure it'll take 20 mins to get to boiling, but atleast 10 though. Regardless, this should be interesting, and a solid beer to get me back to brewing, since my hiatus around Thanksgiving. I've already got a pumpkin ale planned and a Founder's KBS clone scheduled for August and Sept.

I'd also like to note, just for the sake of it, that the revised recipe turns out to be a 5.25 gal brew, not 5.5 gals. I discovered this when I was messing with the recipe in BeerSmith. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone following the revised recipe, but basing off original volumes from the first post.

UPDATE: I just ordered my ingredients from Rebel Brewer, and WOW, this one got expensive for the ABV. I ended up at $73 after tax and shipping. Splitting up between AHB and Rebel didn't save but a dollar, so I said screw it. Bottom line, hops are getting really expensive. I only went with 2oz for the dry hop, since I wanna save a few bucks and can deal with less aroma. I really need to get into all-grain, so I can save vs paying a bunch for DME.

1st- all grain will save you lots. I made the original 11 g batch for about $55.

As far as steeping hops, I would add them with around 10 min left in steep (before rinse), and put them in a different bag (i use a 1g paint strainer bag for hops) than the grain. Then you can leave them in for the whole boil.

Lastly, buying bulk hops is key. I get Citra for a little over $1 an oz.

I bought all the ingredients to make this. I just was at the brew pub this weekend and this stuff is fantastic! Will be brewing on Saturday if my hops come in.

Does anyone know any brew stores that still have citra by the #? I refuse to pay $2/oz. I do feel that is a normal price by the oz I just refuse to pay it and worst case I will wait for the new crop come fall. I know I plan on buying a couple #'s of this come fall.

I can't wait to brew this clone as I have had the original a couple times and it is fantastic!!!! Thanks for everyone already working on this recipe and tweaking it.

I also agree, FFF is horrible about proper classification of the brews they make.

And the past month of so, I have been half-assed in re-brewing this. Was gonna today but got caught up in a bunch of flights at Piece pizza and Revolution Brewery and got lazy. I do think I will do my latest posted recipe but use S-04 yeast when I brew it. It WILL happen this weekend at he latest.

Just kegged my first batch of this. I used leaf hops for the dry hop and I lost quite a bit in the leafs :( Smells sooooooo good though.

Bottled from a carbed keg yesterday, it turned out fantastic. I have not had zombie dust yet but regardless this recipe is pretty fantastic.

In other news 3 floyds got label approval for zombie dust so we should be seeing it in bottles soon.

I did a test pull last night (I know, I know only 24 hours on gas) but it tastes pretty darn close to the real ZD. I'm quite impressed and am planning on a 10 gal batch in the future here.

Bottled from a carbed keg yesterday, it turned out fantastic. I have not had zombie dust yet but regardless this recipe is pretty fantastic.

In other news 3 floyds got label approval for zombie dust so we should be seeing it in bottles soon.

So which recipe did you use in the end? How about you xsists?

So which recipe did you use in the end? How about you xsists?

I used this one:

10.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.8 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Bitterness: 67.2 IBU

I will be mashing 155-156

I mashed at 155. I did come up a little short at about 4.5 gal but my numbers were good. After trub loss and hop loss, I probably pulled out 3 or so gal. Its tasty tasty citra nectar though. In one week, it will be even better. Took another pull last night (2 days after burst kegging), what can I say? Its irresistible!!!

I used this one:

I mashed at 155. I did come up a little short at about 4.5 gal but my numbers were good. After trub loss and hop loss, I probably pulled out 3 or so gal. Its tasty tasty citra nectar though. In one week, it will be even better. Took another pull last night (2 days after burst kegging), what can I say? Its irresistible!!!

Awesome-- can't wait to try making it.

So... This didn't last long :D

I'll be making a 10 gal version of this:

10.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.8 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Color: 8.7 SRM
Bitterness: 67.2 IBU

Mash: 155

In the near future. It was really really really good. Similar to Zombie Dust and if it was a little off, who cares, it was still amazing. After I carbed it and bottled 4 bottles for friends, the keg was empty in 2-3 days..

Actually, I have not, but know a couple people that did with great results. I spent a couple weeks in asia, then took a new job in Atlanta and am in temporary living till mid September, so can't brew yet. My equipment is coming in a few weeks and it will be the first brew in the new house. The move makes getting this cloned a lot more urgent since I can't just go to the bar and get a pint of FFF Zombie Dust anymore. Looking at some of the others results it is getting close.

Brewing this up right now.. Lost some due to boil over but its all good.. Only doing 5 gal since my tun isn't big enough for the 10 gal grain bill..

Just brewed this up last night. Hit all of the numbers spot on. Tried a bit of the wort and did not taste any fruity flavors :). I am sure it will come out after fermentation. I only have 1.5 oz of Citra left for dry hopping but I am sure it will be fine.

So, I have never brewed a beer in my life, but have watched my friends do this (and they are not local). Will the fact that I am somewhat advanced with my understanding of beer taste and have seen the brewing process allow me to successfully brew this beer (that I just love)? This is my kit (I have a pot):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BU7CVM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If so, any suggestions (do I just get the grains in the recipe and but them in the nylon bags)? Is there a definitive, agreeable recipe? Sorry this sounds so noob, but once I get going, it will start rolling (I hope)...

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't got to brew anything for about 2+months, and I have a serious urge to make it happen this weekend ( at least 1 batch). All my equipment is getting delivered to my new home Thursday and I will brew it again saturday or sunday. I has about 4 lbs odlf Citra, so may do a 10g batch. My brother told me that his was finally carbonated and he had his first bottle today; said it is really good.

Back