Saison How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great beer! Wish I bottled this to enter for a competition!

Sent some to a local competition it seemed to throw the judges being dark and with the silky mouth feel the 3111 puts out. Even tho it finished at 1.002 Got some comments that it could be dryier. Great beer but didn't place. I think it hit in the low 30s

Has anyone attempted a very small partial kettle sour version of this?

I love my saisons dry and I know 3711 ferments everything, but it leaves a thicker mouthfeel than the final gravity would imply. I was thinking about fermenting this batch sans 3L which would be drawn off and kettle soured, boiled and then added back into the beer on day 3. I would think 10-15% soured portion would be just enough to create a crisp to crisp-tart final product that is more in line with a beer that will finish at 1.001-1.004.

Any thought on how that would play with the spiciness of the rye?

All set to brew this. Just checking that the original recipe is still the same and also if the single 60 minute hop addition all that's used. I found a recipe by the same name on Beersmith (not sure who created it) that has a small late hop addition. I have no problem with a single addition, just want to be sure I'm following the correct recipe.

Another question I have as I prepare to brew this recipe deals with the rye malt. I have never used it before. Anything special that needs to be done with rye malt other than the addition of rice hulls to the mash? And I am assuming the rye malt used is what I have linked below?

https://wineandhop.com/products/rye-malt-1-oz

Thanks

Brewed ten days ago. Sample taste great! Bottling in two weeks.

IMG_2489.jpg

You don't have to do anything special to rye malt. Just mash it like a regular base malt.

For the following poster I will try to remember to look at how I brewed this later, I don't have it on my phone. But I will say I really like this recipe. I plan on brewing it again imfor my newly brew day.

Another question I have as I prepare to brew this recipe deals with the rye malt. I have never used it before. Anything special that needs to be done with rye malt other than the addition of rice hulls to the mash? And I am assuming the rye malt used is what I have linked below?

https://wineandhop.com/products/rye-malt-1-oz

Thanks

You don't have to do anything special to rye malt. Just mash it like a regular base malt.

I will add that it is huskless and the kernels are smaller than barley. You can either mill it separately at a smaller mill gap or (what I do) double crush the entire grain bill. Word of caution though-- I BIAB and STILL got a "stuck sparge" with a WilserBag on a recent brew with a lot of rye because it made a sticky mess on the inside of the bag that prevented the wort from flowing through.

I double crushed the entire grain bill and ended up wrestling with a stuck sparge. I did however get near 80% efficiency compared to the low 60s I had been getting.

So I ended up altering the recipe (because I wanted to make a lemon ginger version) changing only the hops to Sorachi Ace and adding lemon, ginger, and coriander. Besides those adjustments the grain bill and process was identical to the original.

I posted this question in the recipe section, but I probably should have left it here since we're all brewing a beer with 25% rye and presumably using WY3711. Does anyone have an overly sweet and slick mouthfeel with this beer that doesn't match at all to the super low FG. I mean mine is at 1.000 and after 4 weeks of bottle conditioning this beer has the "weight" of a dubbel that didn't attenuate far enough. It's not that its cloying or anything like that, but at the same time it isn't the dry crisp flavor I expected to get from the rye.

This doesn't mean it's not delicious. As flavor goes, man, this is a good one. But instead of the summer time refresher I was thinking, my result is definitely a slow sipper and I probably wouldn't want to have two back to back.

This beer won Best of Show and placed 1st in Cat. 16 for the 2011 HBT Competition.

How Rye I Am - A Rye Saison

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2.70 %
25 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.8 SRM) Grain 67.57 %
9 lbs Rye Malt (2.9 SRM) Grain 24.32 %
4.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 5.41 %
French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [Starter 4000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Giving this a try tomorrow

I'm trying to get rid of the 55# sack of rye that I have and I may toss some Abbey Malt in, of which I also have a 55# sack

I'll sub pils for pale ale malt and dark candi sugar for clear

Making a starter now

:rockin:

I made a partial mash version of this a while back (bottled in May). Had a fun time with it. Made it pretty straight up to start, but noticed tasting it after a couple weeks that it was incredibly dry. Like... almost no flavor it was so dry. Checked the gravity and, yep, 1.001.

So I decided to try to give it some extra dimensionality with a blend of 100% black cherry and pomegranate concentrates. Another 2 weeks fermenting and it's 1.000 and still really dry/thin, but now with a sour edge from the tannins in the juice. So I bottled with Brett, hoping it would give it more character over time.

I moved to Vietnam shortly thereafter, and it's been chilling in my girlfriend's parents' garage in LA since then, so I'm interested to see how it tastes when I get back in February.

So, how did it taste?

Really damn good! The fruit is basically just an indistinct tartness. The Brett is strong but not overpowering. Tight white head, beautiful color. Mouthfeel is actually really good for such a dry beer, probably thanks to the rye.

CZgTBAs.jpg

Last edited:
Back