Kegging beer with no drilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
OK I have the keg. I have the CO2. Now (probably) a dumb question. Before I buy the rest to convert my fridge to a keggerator, is it possible to just have the keg in the fridge with the tap and line loose next to it? The fridge I am using is old and there's a big plastic piece on the door that I don't want to drill through. I will if I have to but if I could just have a way to not have to drill into the fridge (as unorthodox as that is) I would rather do that.

The only concern about the picnic taps in a fridge (which I did for years before going to a keezer) is that if you don't have a specific place to put them (I used to hang them from wire loops underneath a top shelf) they can get pinched when the door closes and you lose a keg of beer.

If you have regular faucets, you'll want to build a small board or something that you can attach them to since they're so heavy and you'll likely run into similar problems like what I described above.

What kind of tap are you looking at using? Just a plastic picnic tap and line would work fine for this. You could potentially build a set of lines and faucets (but why?).
Edit: See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sizing-your-chest-freezer-corny-kegs-75449/ and the first picture with kegs has one of the plastic picnic taps for dispensing use. (bottom right keg)

Thanks for the pic. The reason is I use that fridge for holding pop and bottled beer now. I'm worried about messing up the drilling and ruining a perfectly good (albeit old) fridge. Also I have a plastic kind of like shell attached to the door that has egg holders and shelves where the holes would go. Do I just drill right through those? Are there lines in the door that I might drill through? I'd rather have a kegerator but I just am not sure about those questions. Thoughts?

While you can drill through the plastic shelves inside the door, most people remove that plastic piece and replace with a plexiglass, plastic, or sometimes wooded sheet. It just involves peeling the rubber gasket around the shelf unit back a little bit then removing all the screws, which allows you to remove that panel. Then, you simply cut your replacement panel to the same size as the shelf unit, attach the gasket to that replacement panel, and remount using the same screws and screw holes that held the shelf in place.

While you can drill through the plastic shelves inside the door, most people remove that plastic piece and replace with a plexiglass, plastic, or sometimes wooded sheet. It just involves peeling the rubber gasket around the shelf unit back a little bit then removing all the screws, which allows you to remove that panel. Then, you simply cut your replacement panel to the same size as the shelf unit, attach the gasket to that replacement panel, and remount using the same screws and screw holes that held the shelf in place.
Hahah...thanks man! Coming from a man who shot a staple gun into his own hand even this easy task is something I would mess up. Just decided to buy a kegerator! Thanks for the help :mug:

SImple answer is yes,if you dont want to drill just use picnic taps and keep the co2 tank in the fridge with the kegs

Back