Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged my second batch last Friday and sampled a glass or two last night. Wow, my second batch is better than the first. I added a 1/2 pound of lactose and that seems to have taken the bite out of it without making it sweet. It is still pretty dry and refreshing, but really smooth.

Here is another tip for making the Apfelwein...Don't rush it! I prepared this batch on April 29th and it had been sitting there undisturbed until July 13. I was really careful when I transferred to the keg and the yeast cake wasn't roused at all. The Apfelwein is brilliantly clear, like it was filtered and the taste is really clean.

I will be preparing another batch this weekend so it has time to age while I enjoy my current keg.

I used Ed's base recipe with 1/2 pound of lactose and Cote des Blancs yeast.

rcjmil said:
Can you bottle this instead of kegging?

Read the (fine) first post.

If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer.

You can also bottle and not carbonate, which would be my preference. A lot of people seem to like it carbonated, though.

ArroganceFan said:
Is corn sugar something that can be found at grocery stores or does it have to come from a brewing supplier?

The only place I have ever seen it is my LHBS. Its cheap just get like 5 pounds and put the left overs in a zip lock bag. Then you always have it for priming.

I made a 6-gallon batch of the original Apfelwein recipe 8 days ago. It's still bubbling away! I guess that's why we leave it in the primary for a month. I plan on back-sweetening it with 2 cups of splenda and carbonating it with corn sugar.

Can't wait to try this! It's amazing how much the color changed over the past week. It's a light brown now.

Okay, I have to add my two cents. This has to be one of the longest threads on here, and obviously one of the most popular brews (brew? it isn't really a brew, more of a mix no?) Anyway. I mixed up my first batch this evening. Easy! Well except trying to get all that sugar into the little hole.

I can't wait (but guess I must.)

Thanks Ed. :)

dale

efreem01 said:
I made a 6-gallon batch of the original Apfelwein recipe 8 days ago. It's still bubbling away! I guess that's why we leave it in the primary for a month. I plan on back-sweetening it with 2 cups of splenda and carbonating it with corn sugar.

Can't wait to try this! It's amazing how much the color changed over the past week. It's a light brown now.
So this will let the apfelwein carbonate while still retaining sweetness from the splenda which is unfermentable correct? :)

phooka said:
Okay, I have to add my two cents. This has to be one of the longest threads on here, and obviously one of the most popular brews (brew? it isn't really a brew, more of a mix no?) Anyway. I mixed up my first batch this evening. Easy! Well except trying to get all that sugar into the little hole.

I can't wait (but guess I must.)

Thanks Ed. :)

dale

Congrats! I buy my sugar in 1 lb. bags and cut off a corner. I put the gallon jug in the sink and gently pour it in. Some powder misses, but it brushes right off in the sink and SWMBO is happy.

When are you going to start another batch?

EdWort said:
Congrats! I buy my sugar in 1 lb. bags and cut off a corner. I put the gallon jug in the sink and gently pour it in. Some powder misses, but it brushes right off in the sink and SWMBO is happy.

When are you going to start another batch?

Well that's probably part of my problem with the sugar. I bought a 5lbs bag of it instead of 1lbs bags (with intention of making more asap.) I was transferring to another container that had a spout, hoping it would make it more pourable. nope. I guess I understand the emphasis on the 1lbs bags now.

dale

phooka said:
I guess I understand the emphasis on the 1lbs bags now.

I'm all about making it easy!

BTW, I updated the first page of the thread with this bit of advice.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND START ANOTHER BATCH 2 WEEKS AFTER YOU START THIS ONE.
YOU WILL THANK ME LATER!

EdWort said:
I'm all about making it easy!

BTW, I updated the first page of the thread with this bit of advice.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND START ANOTHER BATCH 2 WEEKS AFTER YOU START THIS ONE.
YOU WILL THANK ME LATER!

My first batch has been in for 6 days, and I just bought some more juice yesterday for another 5 gal.

There have been a few people post reports of trying this with a little cranberry added. Anyone have any good results?

I have one batch of this in bottles and am going to do another soon. SWMBO loves cranberries and I thought it would be a nice addition for the holidays. Since the cranberry juice you can buy at stores it barely any cranberry with a lot of sugar I think that I won't need a lot of cranberry juice to keep the flavor (I don't think many of the cranberry flavor compounds will ferment).

Also, what is the consensus on brown sugar, does it make much difference? I like the original apfelwein dryness, but with the cranberry I am afraid it might come out too sour.

Here's what I am thinking
4-5 gals apple juice
1 gal cranberry juice (not 100%, may be a 'cocktail')
1 can apple juice concentrate
1-2 lbs of sugar (not sure what kind yet)
Montrachet yeast
lactose at bottling if needed

Probably going to prime half and leave the other half still.

Watch out that the cranberry coctail doesn't have preservatives. I made one, but I'm waiting for it to carbonate in the bottle right now.

I think I worked out the nutritional info for Apfelwein.

This is for the ratio 5 gallons juice:2lb dextrose. In my case it's a 6 gallon batch but with the same ratio. My assumption is that the caloric content of the alcohol being produced is comparable to the sugars being fermented.

Here it goes:

Calories per 12 oz: 245 (180 for juice, 65 for Dextrose)

If anyone know a more precise method, i'd be interested to hear it.

I know that this might have been answered, but....

How do I bottle this stuff???

Can I simply clean the original gallon apple juice jugs that it came in?

OR

Do I need some special wine bottles?

mrb said:
I know that this might have been answered, but....

How do I bottle this stuff???

Can I simply clean the original gallon apple juice jugs that it came in?

OR

Do I need some special wine bottles?

Good question...

I plan on putting mine back into the jugs it came in. (non carbonated)
Anyone else?

I bottled just like beer. In bottles (I used my collection of green bottles) with 4oz. of corn sugar.

I am sure you can use the bottles it came in. Sanitize well and I doubt they will hold much pressure. Beer bottles can be used to bottle still also.

So I guess the answer is split up the 5 gallons.

Half back into the original apple juice jugs and the rest
into bottles.

How fresh will in stay in the original plastic jugs???

Damnit, I bottled today and when I tasted the apfelwein, it was really sour/tart. Any ideas why? I used lalvin 1118 yeast btw.

I have fermented test batches directly in the bottles, same material as better bottles. But I haven't put it back in post fermentation.

I would assume it would be ok, if we don't worry about oxydation in a better bottle.

Notes on Edwort's recipe. I wasn't able to get anywhere near 5 gallons of apple juice plus the 2lbs of corn sugar into my fermenter. I opted for a 5 gallon carbouy instead of one of my 6.5's (since they are kinda busy). Which is kinda odd I think. I had to use White House apple juice (food lion has a really cr*p*y selection of juice. I used 5 gallons, but still had something like 20 oz's left (eyeball measurement). I actually wound up even having to rack out some once the bubbles started because I was overly optimistic about lack of fermentation 'head' (since there is no krausen).

dale

It does grow on you!!!!

Very tasty and refreshing!!!

I poured it over crushed ice and added a splash of cranberry/raspberry juice.

Thanks EdWort!!!!

Can't wait until the other 2.5 gallons carb.

I started some last week - it's bubbling along nicely now but WOW does it smell aweful today. My wife will not be pleased when she discovers.. especially given my fermenting room is our master bedroom closet.

phooka said:
I started some last week - it's bubbling along nicely now but WOW does it smell aweful today. My wife will not be pleased when she discovers.. especially given my fermenting room is our master bedroom closet.

Quick, move it to the bathroom and tell her you ate something bad for lunch...ha ha.

When mine got to that stage SWMBO thought the dog or cats had crapped in the bathroom. Apparently yeast nutrient will prevent that smell, it is on my list for next time.

Beerrific said:
Quick, move it to the bathroom and tell her you ate something bad for lunch...ha ha.

When mine got to that stage SWMBO thought the dog or cats had crapped in the bathroom. Apparently yeast nutrient will prevent that smell, it is on my list for next time.

Well it was a close call, first reaction was "Move it outside!" After reason returned, she let me move it to the "zen room" (don't ask).

prey said:
Has anyone gotten a sour product when it's done fermenting?

I wouldn't say sour, tart sure. But nothing that you wouldn't expect from a dry white wine. Are you going to bottle? This tartness dies off a little after a couple weeks in bottles.

I've got my second batch of AW in the primary for 6+ weeks and there is virtually no fermentation activity, but its still cloudy. If my final gravity readings are where they should be (I'll check in the morning).... will crash cooling help settle the yeast and clear things up?

I'm thinking 39F for a couple of days..... or does wine not react to crash cooling like beer?

TIA

Is it possible to overfill a carboy with this? I made a batch today, and tried to put as much into the glass carboy as I could. 8 hours later, there is some foam that has made its way to the top of my airlock. It does not seem to be moving at the moment, but I am worried I may have filled it up too much. When I look at the bottles, there is juice up past where my cap covers the top of the carboy. Do I need to drain some?

What is the consensus on storing this? I have quite a while to go (put it in on the 20th). I probably won't bottle to carbonate. What would be the best way to store it and keep it fresh?

vtchuck said:
I've got my second batch of AW in the primary for 6+ weeks and there is virtually no fermentation activity, but its still cloudy. If my final gravity readings are where they should be (I'll check in the morning).... will crash cooling help settle the yeast and clear things up?

Shouldn't be necessary. Patience will do it if you use Montrachet yeast. If you used something, else, then maybe someone will chime in.

Edcculus said:
What is the consensus on storing this? I have quite a while to go (put it in on the 20th). I probably won't bottle to carbonate. What would be the best way to store it and keep it fresh?

I store mine in kegs, but have left it in the primary for 3 months without any issues. You can rack it to a secondary after two months and keep it there for several months with no problem. If you can purge the carboy with CO2 before racking, that would best, otherwise, racking to a keg is best.

ArroganceFan said:
Is it possible to overfill a carboy with this? I made a batch today, and tried to put as much into the glass carboy as I could. 8 hours later, there is some foam that has made its way to the top of my airlock. It does not seem to be moving at the moment, but I am worried I may have filled it up too much. When I look at the bottles, there is juice up past where my cap covers the top of the carboy. Do I need to drain some?

You might have too much in there. My pics at the first post show the proper amount if you use Montrachet yeast. You can remove some with a sanitized turkey baster or a wine thief, or the big tube of a Auto Siphon.

EdWort said:
You might have too much in there. My pics at the first post show the proper amount if you use Montrachet yeast. You can remove some with a sanitized turkey baster or a wine thief, or the big tube of a Auto Siphon.

Done, thanks for the help. Do I need to think about re-pitching? Or should I just sit on it and see what happens?

Latest posts

Back