If my starter doesn't make a trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My yeast starter seems to be lagging and my brew is tomorrow night. I planned to decant and pitch slurry tomorrow night, but if the yeast is still in suspension should I just pitch the whole dang thing?

I say go for it. It wont dilute your wort much because the starter has a gravity of its own, and as long as you didn't put anything crazy in it, it shouldn't contribute an off flavor. I've pitched the entire starter in the past to make sure I don't lose any of the low-flocculation yeast cells.

I'll do that w/ ales. This is a lager, and the damn thing is a friggin gallon though.

Well that certainly complicates things...how is pitching the entire thing even an option in that case?

Is there any flexibility in the day you brew?

Pitching the entire thing is really not an option. Zero flexibility at this point. Should the starter be nice and slow, that may have to change.

Looks like 1.044 SG currently. So, fermentation hasn't begun. I feel a little better now, I found it hard to believe the amount of sludge at the bottom was what I was supposed to ferment a lager with.

Ha! Now I'm left wondering why my starter is taking so dang long. I pitched 14 hours ago. I would have thought a starter would be a little quicker.

That's unfortunate but sounds like it will put off brew day unless it takes off pretty fast. Are you fermenting it at room temperature? I always do that for my starters regardless of type.

Ha! Now I'm left wondering why my starter is taking so dang long. I pitched 14 hours ago. I would have thought a starter would be a little quicker.

Oh.. that's a bit short.
I usually propagate my starters on a Tue/Wed for a weekend brew session.

36 hours and still no activity on this thing. Just in case I whipped up (yet another) APA starter because I knew if this didn't work I had the ingredients for a SMaSH apa half batch. Oh joy!!!

I'll give the bavarian lager starter until the weekend then I'll complain.

I moved it into a slightly warmer area of house and shook it up. This time some co2 was released. I'm sure it's going now. I just wish the directions on the back would have told me since it was 4 months old it'd prob take longer. Oh well, doubt it'll be done in time to cool and pitch tonight.

You'll want to give it a couple more days for sure. Let it finish up and then give it time to cool and settle. You want the yeast cake at the bottom to be fairly tight so that when you decant it doesn't easily pour out along with the starter liquid.

It takes longer to see airlock activity in a lager due to the cold (vs. warm) beer being able to hold more CO2 in suspension before saturation. Once CO2 saturation is reached, CO2 will be given off and airlock activity will occur. Lagers can take up three days before you see air lock activity due to this and slower fermentation due to lagering temps.

Back