Can I save my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
I made a starter for this week-end, but its been a bust with rain today and 50% tomorrow. The starter is fully fermented with no activity. I want to save it until next week-end.

Do I:

Put the entire starter vial in the fridge?
Put the starter slury in the fridge?
Set the starter aside (70º) until next week-end?

Thanks for the help.

I'm brewing outside in Richmond tomorrow, might be holding an umbrella over the brewpot from time to time, but I'll be brewing.

As far as the starter goes, I'd put the whole thing in the fridge. Should be fine and its more or less what you do when you wash yeast and store it in the fridge.

you will be fine saving it in the fridge, but you might want to consider re-starting it before you brew next weekend.

I'm brewing outside in Richmond tomorrow, might be holding an umbrella over the brewpot from time to time, but I'll be brewing.

As far as the starter goes, I'd put the whole thing in the fridge. Should be fine and its more or less what you do when you wash yeast and store it in the fridge.

I'm in Norfolk. I brewed an American Honey Wheat yesterday, and wanted to brew biermunchers Blue Balls (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/blue-balls-belgian-wit-blue-moon-clone-24978/) today or tomorrow.

What are you brewing?

I was going to split the day between brewing, and finishing the kegerator - now I'll do the kegerator, and some of the SWMBO's task list.

kegerator-start.jpg

you will be fine saving it in the fridge, but you might want to consider re-starting it before you brew next weekend.

Not sure why I would want to do another starter? I typically pitch "done" starters so yeast isn't high-active anyway. If the cell-count is up, why another starter?

I typically put mine in the fridge if I can't brew it right away, but you could just ignore it for awhile. After all, it's a mini beer and we don't go and refrigerate our beer after primary fermentation is over. Putting it in the fridge will cause the yeast to settle out so that's an advantage. If you're only waiting a week, just take it out of the fridge when you start your brew so it can warm up. The yeast will be fine. No additional starter is necessary.

I'm brewed a variation (accidental) on EdWorts bavarian hefeweizen. I picked up 7 pounds of flaked wheat instead of malted wheat, but I still got decent efficiency and had zero problems sparging, both of which were unexpected.

That keg setup looks pretty sweet. I really need to make the switch to kegging at some point in time, but I have a few more things in my process that I want to nail down first.

Did you ever get rain your way? They've pushed our rain forecast back to about 1:00 tomorrow morning.

I always put my starters in the fridge. Gives me a few days of buffer in case I can't brew, plus it settles the yeast so I can pour off the starter beer.

I'm brewed a variation (accidental) on EdWorts bavarian hefeweizen. I picked up 7 pounds of flaked wheat instead of malted wheat, but I still got decent efficiency and had zero problems sparging, both of which were unexpected.

That keg setup looks pretty sweet. I really need to make the switch to kegging at some point in time, but I have a few more things in my process that I want to nail down first.

Did you ever get rain your way? They've pushed our rain forecast back to about 1:00 tomorrow morning.

Not a drop. I did make a decent dent in the SWMBO list and some (not nearly as much as I would like) progress on the kegerator.

Latest posts

Back