So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a Dortmunder last weekend, this weekend brewing a North German Altbier.

IMG_4569.jpg

I have a Bohemian Pilsner going. Bohemian Rhapsody, brewed while listening to Queen.

Did my first decoction mash, a double decoction. Over shot preboil by 10 points....
I figured out why I overshot. I had the recipe for 90 minute boil and needing 8.19 gallons but was thinking 7.1 gallons and a 60 minute boil so I had not collected enough wort.

Will add some water after the boil to correct OG and see how much I get.

Brewing up a malty Belgian pale ale on Saturday at an event hosted by a local brewery.

Free ingredients are fun. :)

Have you tried the Hi Nelson Saison w/Hibiscus? Really, REALLY good! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=474462

I have not tried that, it does look amazing! That's a great color, it actually looks a lot like my hefe!
I'm not big into saisons personally, but about 7 out of 10 of the regulars around my keezer are haha.
I think I'll give it a shot once my brew schedule opens up in May.
(Countless events I'm brewing for at the moment)

Not this weekend but brewed a 6 g AG batch ofMosaic/Citra IPA today w/ my daughter.
Up next is a Grapefruit Wheat IPA w/ grapefruit experimental hops.

Gonna squeeze in a nice late nice sesh on Friday (Kama Citra IPA) before the Wife whisks me off to a couples retreat....... [emoji30][emoji379]

Midweek brewday! :ban:

"Shoot Your Rye Out" Red SRyePA (Red Rye-der, hurr hurr). The S is for session. Gonna use a total of six ounces of Kohatu unless I get a better inspiration in the next couple hours.

Buddy and I are brewing for the first time in 2015. It's been a long time coming. It's our own recipe single hopped (Comet) American Pale Ale we're naming Carl after Carl Sagan (comets... Carl Sagan.... Get it? xD)

We were going to single hop with Bravo and name it Johnny, but we read that Bravo was a fairly bland flavor hop.

Midweek brewday! :ban:

"Shoot Your Rye Out" Red SRyePA (Red Rye-der, hurr hurr). The S is for session. Gonna use a total of six ounces of Kohatu unless I get a better inspiration in the next couple hours.

Decided to go with 3 oz Kohatu and just a smidge under 3 oz Azacca, mostly because I realized I didn't have as much Kohatu as I thought I did, but also because I wasn't sure I wanted to bank so much on one hop I haven't used before.

Not brewing, but bottling 6 gallons of Cascade IPA. It is cold crashing at the moment & tomorrow it gets some gelatin & bottle Sunday, I am so ready to taste this one. :mug::drunk:

I know some say not to use gelatin on an IPA but the last one I made was a Columbus IPA & I used gelatin, it was crystal clear & all the hops you wanted, it was my best brew to date.:rockin: Hope this one is even better.

With IPAs I generally gelatin and then cold crash before the dry hop. After the gelatin stage I let it warm up again and dry hop. Cold crash one more time to rack it and you have a nice clear, hoppy IPA.

I plan on making a 50/50 (White Wheat/2-Row) this weekend. Decided to try a new yeast, for me anyway. Does anyone have any experience with Belgian Ale Yeast - M27? Farmhouse also had a new hops, Belma. Looking to get some fruity flavors.

Did 9 gallons of a Scottish 70 shilling Saturday, 2-5 gallon fermenters still bubbling away.

Bottled Pliny clone and Yeungling lager last week
Yeungling Ale conditioned (split batch w/ale yeast on this)
Irish red in keg
Session IPA in keg

I brought my Belgian pale ale out of a cooler environment a couple of days ago and there are small bubbles stacking up in the airlock, like honeycomb...so I guess it's still going...slowly. Needs to go from 1.020 (last SG check) to 1.009 (estimated)...so, I'm just going to let it keep rolling in primary several more days.

Kick-@ss brew day. I finally got the bugs worked out of my new setup, and I went from burner on to everything done in 3.5 hours. Fastest brewday ever. Another hour for cleanup, and I was start to finish in 4.5 hours. I even remembered to gather the leftover wort that gets left in the lines and in the plate chiller, and I just pressure cooked it for later use in a starter. Sweet.

Gonna cook up my first Refectory Ale and an ESB-ish batch tomorrow.
The starters look like they're almost ready for crashing...

Cheers!

[edit]Done and done. And I'm totally gassed.

Time for a beer! :mug:

ab_apr_26_2015.jpg

Back