Recent trip to STONE Brewery in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frod1963

Reaction score
Here are some pics of San Diego's best brewery. Did a short tour and some tasting at the end. Not only was the beer great but the owner told us all about cool things to come
100_0549.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0536.jpg

Cool pics. Are they using iodophor in those air locks? (if you asked). This reminds me, I'm going to San Diego next month for my anniversary. I need to sneak this into the agenda.

Sweet. Thanks for posting these. I'd love to get out there and see that place.

Yeah not sure about the Iodophor. But they are in Escondido and it's pretty easy to get to. Also went to Ballast Point which was pretty cool but not STONE!

I didnt know they were in Escondido. I lived there for two years. Next time I go visit my aunt I will have to stop in and take a tour.

I visited last August. They didn't have as many barrels there then, so that is good.
If you visit you should go to the Lost Abbey brewery, they are right around the corner (they are in Stone's old place).

They fill 5 gall kegs on site and since I moved to vermont would like them where I am. They said they would work on it. As of now they have Oaked arrogant bastard in 22's but on site they have Oaked RIS which would be nice in bottles as well. They said they would work on this as well.

I went there over the July 4th weekend. Their beer garden is amazing and well worth the visit.

I've had oaked Arrogant Bastard before at my local haunt, and it was pretty good, but the oaked AB I had at the beer garden was absolutely phenomenal. Amazing stuff.

im going down there on 8/8/08 so i can get their new vertical epic on tap the day it comes out, as well as a case strait from the brewery.

awesome pictures man!

Cool pics. Are they using iodophor in those air locks? (if you asked). This reminds me, I'm going to San Diego next month for my anniversary. I need to sneak this into the agenda.

I'd be willing to bet it is whiskey or burbon.
You don't need to sneak anything. The Stone World Bistro is an AWESOME restaurant and eating out in the garden will be very romantic.
It's all how you spin it to your wife:mug:

im going down there on 8/8/08 so i can get their new vertical epic on tap the day it comes out, as well as a case strait from the brewery.

awesome pictures man!

I'm driving down there as well. I actually planned on going that weekend with a buddy to visit the SD breweries, and didn't even realize it was 8/8/08. Works out well for me.

I'd be willing to bet it is whiskey or burbon.
You don't need to sneak anything. The Stone World Bistro is an AWESOME restaurant and eating out in the garden will be very romantic.
It's all how you spin it to your wife:mug:

Thanks. I already told her we'd be going there one of the days we're out there. Won't be 8/8/8 though. That's our wedding anniversary and that I don't believe she'd go for :).

Thanks. I already told her we'd be going there one of the days we're out there. Won't be 8/8/8 though. That's our wedding anniversary and that I don't believe she'd go for :).

If it's your 8th anniversary, I don't want you in my county. The chances of a rift in the space/time continuum is just too high.:D

I love Ballast Point (sorry real early post...) I went to Stone then Ballast point on a 2 day sojourn, I really liked the feel of Ballast point (HA! YA LHBS/Brewery!)

I spent 3 months in San Diego for work and went here once a week for dinner. Is this place really that well know around the US?

I spent 3 months in San Diego for work and went here once a week for dinner. Is this place really that well know around the US?

Oh yes. Being from SD, they've always been around, but people who love Stone LOVE them. Plus, their brewery is pretty sweet.

Stones food is great also! (I thought 07-07-07 was not all that good though
hide.gif
) I will always treasure my Arrogant Bastard shirt and glass :)

the 8/8/08 tastes like the cali-belgique just a little bit. its try, too. thats just from one sip from my 2L growler though, didnt get the full taste yet. stone was so amazing holy crap. if you live in cali and you havnt been, you should just take one day to go down there and plunder their taps. i had a 2006 double bastard and it was probably the best american beer ive ever had.

unfortunately i didnt bring a camera. stupid stupid stupid!

My first trip to Stone last December was nothing special. The tour guide was a tool, and gave the least educational and interesting tour I have ever been on. The food was overpriced, and the staff at the bistro and gardens was rude.

This time was even worse. 8/8/08 was disappointing, and then I got kicked out of the damn place for smoking a cigarette on the patio outside. I'll admit I wasn't the most polite person, but only after they were initially very rude to me.

At least we didn't have to pay what would have turned out to be a ridiculously high-priced bill. 4 buffalo burgers, 2 orders of onion rings, and lots of beer.

It's safe to say I won't be heading back there again. I had MUCH better times at Green Flash, Lost Abbey/Port, and Alpine.

I agree with findthefish, to a point. The food is not the best, they try to hard, and it's way overpriced. The tour guide is a tool and little to no info on the brewery itself. But their beer is great and the place could'nt be cooler in architecture.

My first trip to Stone last December was nothing special. The tour guide was a tool, and gave the least educational and interesting tour I have ever been on. The food was overpriced, and the staff at the bistro and gardens was rude.

This time was even worse. 8/8/08 was disappointing, and then I got kicked out of the damn place for smoking a cigarette on the patio outside. I'll admit I wasn't the most polite person, but only after they were initially very rude to me.

At least we didn't have to pay what would have turned out to be a ridiculously high-priced bill. 4 buffalo burgers, 2 orders of onion rings, and lots of beer.

It's safe to say I won't be heading back there again. I had MUCH better times at Green Flash, Lost Abbey/Port, and Alpine.

it sounds to me like you had a run in with the sober police. the buffalo burger is amazing, the chicks there were succulant, and the staff was knowledgable (the tour guide chick was ditzy but KNEW what she was talking about). you broke a rule thats pretty obvious. you cant smoke in a public place unless its a designated smoking area. it should have been quite obvious that the patio wasnt the place to light up a cancer rod. sorry if i sound like an ass, but its just what ive gathered.

Hello, I am glad you went to visit Stone and Ballast Pointe, but be careful saying that Stone is the best brewery in San Diego. There are many others, but you failed to mention the 2008 GABF winner of small brewery of the year Alesmith. If you havent tried their beer you are missing something. The owner was a member of our local homebrew club before buying this brewery. He brewed (and still brews) some of the best beer I have ever tasted.

Tom

I second the Alesmith vote! Stone makes great beer. Green Flash West Coast Pale Ale is phenominal. I had the opportunity to attend a private Alesmith tasting this past summer that featured their Speedway Stout from different years, among a few other aged beers. Alesmith is awesome!

Didn't make it to alesmith last time but will be back to San Diego (home) on the 3rd for a wedding and will for sure make it up there. It kicks ass when guys like that still homebrew.

Back