Apple Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering why I have never seen an Apple Beer. Is it because barley malt and apples don't compliment each other? Maybe the beer part of it over-powers the apple flavor. Does the hop bitterness, flavor and aroma over power the apple?

I thought I'd ask in the Cider Discussion forum because you folks are the experts.
I'm sure it has been tried before but sense I've never seen it I will assume it just doesn't work.
Thanks!

I'd probably say that because beer with a smell or taste of apple cider is a sign of contamination. This happened to my last batch. It smells like I added apples into the brew or something.
It would have been done before by somebody but I'm guessing most people wouldn't want to create a beer that tastes like it's been contaminated.

And take my word for it... the flavours of apple and malt don't mix as I experienced. Haha

One advantage of kegging, you can try odd combinations: like an oz. of mocha porter and one of apple cider.
Bad.

Leinenkugel's (Chippewa Falls, WI) released an apple beer this past fall. Supposedly it is made with real apples and "spices".

I haven't had it but I plan to next month when I visit the cheese and beer state.

Personally i think it would be a good combo.

Unibrou from Quebec brews an apple beer called Ephmere. It's a belgian whit style and it's awesome. They use green apples for it and the flavor is more of an aroma/aftertaste thing. They also make cranberry, raspberry, and peach, depending on what time of the year it is.

Very Un-Dude said:
Leinenkugel's (Chippewa Falls, WI) released an apple beer this past fall. Supposedly it is made with real apples and "spices".

I haven't had it but I plan to next month when I visit the cheese and beer state.

Don't bother trying it. Its sweeter and more artificial tasting than most wine coolers.

RichBrewer said:
I was wondering why I have never seen an Apple Beer. Is it because barley malt and apples don't compliment each other? Maybe the beer part of it over-powers the apple flavor. Does the hop bitterness, flavor and aroma over power the apple?

I thought I'd ask in the Cider Discussion forum because you folks are the experts.
I'm sure it has been tried before but sense I've never seen it I will assume it just doesn't work.
Thanks!
Fruity/tart apple notes sound great, like honey, butterscotch, cherry, raspberry, etc etc have found their place in beer.
Hops and apple just don't work together. Why waste malt and hops on your apple juice? Just brew a cider!!!!:D

Caplan said:
Fruity/tart apple notes sound great, like honey, butterscotch, cherry, raspberry, etc etc have found their place in beer.
Hops and apple just don't work together. Why waste malt and hops on your apple juice? Just brew a cider!!!!:D
The reason I asked the question is that I am going to experiment with cider and I was wondering if you could add malt extract to boost the alcohol and provide yeast nutrients.
:mug:

Dude said:

I find this beer to taste very much like cider. I like it but it doesn't taste like beer.

abraxas said:
Don't bother trying it. Its sweeter and more artificial tasting than most wine coolers.

I couldn't even finish it. Take a glass of apple juice, dump in a little beer and add some sugar. That's the taste.

I just started my first cider primary using honey and a black rock cider kit.
I reckon a honey and apple combination will work well.
In the UK a well known way for youngsters and tramps to get legless is to drink a "snakebite" which is a half and half mix of cider and beer. When i was a kid we wold ask for a snakebite and black which was the afor mentioned plus black current cordial to mask the taste. None of them tasted good.

homebrewer_99 said:
I like my beer to taste like...beer!:drunk: :D
And I like my cider to taste like....cider!!!:D

When i started the 'hop wine' experiment from 'leftovers' in my sig it started with a 'hop tea'. I was drinking cider at the time (surprise surprise....) so I added small amounts of the 'tea' to a glass of cider, tasting it, building up. A few dribbles at a time. Not nice from a few drops in.....
The 'hop wine' is looking and smelling good though! :D

P funky said:
So what, may I ask, is a black rock cider kit? And how's it working for you?
"Black Rock" are a New Zealand kit maker. In japan you can buy them from department stores.
The primary fermented very heavily, it continued for 16 days. Last night I put it straight into bottles with some brown cane sugar. There was no strong yeast taste and due to the long time it had been in the primary i thought a secondary wasn't necessary.From what I tasted of the cider at this stage it is going to be delicious. The honey has been taken over by the apple and the end result seems to be a drink with the edge taken off the acid of the apples.
Since Cider is almost unknown in Japan I am looking forward to surprising people during the summer's BBQs.

I actually have a recipe in my cider book....bumped into it the other day. I'll try to find it... maybe put it in Promash before posting it.

Here is the Apple Beer recipe found in "The art of cidermaking" by Paul Correnty. Make sure you look at the notes. This one looks like it needs a bit of time to age.

Apple Beer
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.60
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.57
Anticipated SRM: 5.1
Anticipated IBU: 20.0
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Garetz

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
86.8 6.60 lbs. Muntons LME - Light England 1.037 5
13.2 1.00 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.035 0
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 12.9 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 7.1 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 5 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
32.00 Cup(s) Sweet Apple Cider Other 0 Min.(after boil)
0.50 Oz Irish Moss Fining 20 Min.(boil)
1.00 Oz Sweet Orange Peel Spice 128 Days (secondary)
1.00 Unit(s)Cinnamon Spice 128 Days(secondary)

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Notes
-----
Sweet Cider is added after the boil is complete, which will partially cool wort.
Sweet Orange Peel is added to the Secondary (directions say 1 Tbs... not sure how many ounces this is).
Cinnamon stick is also added to secondary
Age in secondary for about 4 months.
Yeast in recipe was not specific... just said Ale yeast.

Beer Snob said:
Here is the Apple Beer recipe found in "The art of cidermaking" by Paul Correnty. Make sure you look at the notes. This one looks like it needs a bit of time to age.

Apple Beer
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.60
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.57
Anticipated SRM: 5.1
Anticipated IBU: 20.0
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Formulas Used
-------------
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.
Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Garetz

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
86.8 6.60 lbs. Muntons LME - Light England 1.037 5
13.2 1.00 lbs. Clover Honey Generic 1.035 0
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 12.9 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 7.1 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 5 min.

Extras
Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
32.00 Cup(s) Sweet Apple Cider Other 0 Min.(after boil)
0.50 Oz Irish Moss Fining 20 Min.(boil)
1.00 Oz Sweet Orange Peel Spice 128 Days (secondary)
1.00 Unit(s)Cinnamon Spice 128 Days(secondary)

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Notes
-----
Sweet Cider is added after the boil is complete, which will partially cool wort.
Sweet Orange Peel is added to the Secondary (directions say 1 Tbs... not sure how many ounces this is).
Cinnamon stick is also added to secondary
Age in secondary for about 4 months.
Yeast in recipe was not specific... just said Ale yeast.
I might have to scale this down to a one gallon batch. Sounds like a fun experiment.:mug:
Thanks!

I screwed up once and had 8 gallons of a wheat/barley wort... (added the wrong extract)

I took three of the gallons and added 3 or 4 diced fresh apples. The result?

It's tasty. Crystal clear with a pronounced but not sweet apple flavor.

G'head and try it, it might be good.

Back