What the Helles?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
OK, 1st world problem here. Brewed a 15.5 gallon batch of my Munich Helles this weekend and ended up with crazy efficiency. Typically I shoot for around 77% efficiency, but I ended up at 87%. My OG ended up at 1.062 which will leave the Helles finishing above 6%!

Used Avangard Pilsner instead of weyermann this time. As many have noted the grain was a little dirty, but certainly had no problem converting.

Mash was 156 for 60 min. 90 minute boil. Recipe below for those interested. This is one of my typical house beers that are enjoyed by the masses. Curious to see how the higher ABV will impact the taste and mouthfeel.

15 lbs Avangard Pilsner (51.3%)
10 lbs Rahr Pale Malt (34.2%)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) (5.1%)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) (5.1%)
12.0 oz Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM) (2.6%)
10.0 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) (1.7%)
2 oz Mt. Hood (60 min)
2 oz Hallertaur Mittelfrueh (20 min)
German Lager (WLP830) 5000ml starter

Water Chemistry - used Kai's template for very soft water:
Distilled water
80ppm epsom salt
80 ppm CaCl2
added 1.75 ml lactic acid (88%) to sparge water

Ferment @ 55 degrees F

Typically I shoot for around 77% efficiency, but I ended up at 87%. My OG ended up at 1.062 which will leave the Helles finishing above 6%!

don't you measure pre-boil OG? if it's higher, you can dilute, adjust the hops and get more beer, lighter and in style!

great recipe! i think i may attemto this next, hard to brew it when i buy so much of it, but would love to get a recipe prefected before i move back to the states. Keep us posted on tasting notes!
thanks,

Jeremy

don't you measure pre-boil OG? if it's higher, you can dilute, adjust the hops and get more beer, lighter and in style!

Yup, that would have the smart thing to do. Unfortunately, it was a busy day and skipped over that step. Normally I hit my numbers right on... Live and learn. :)

Do you use Beer Smith? If so, look up Munich Water. The chemistry is very close to many spring waters that are commercially available. Might save you a step or two. :) Munich Helles is my favorite beer to brew. Nowhere to hide in that style. I use Horst's Helles recipe that I found in BYO.

Do you use Beer Smith? If so, look up Munich Water. The chemistry is very close to many spring waters that are commercially available. Might save you a step or two. :) Munich Helles is my favorite beer to brew. Nowhere to hide in that style. I use Horst's Helles recipe that I found in BYO.

I agree completely, I really enjoy the challenge of a Helles. After travelling to across eastern Europe (and visiting breweries along the way) I have really been inspired by the beers of the region. Much of what I brew anymore is largely inspired by eastern European brewers - so simple, yet so complex.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good IPA now and again, but I'm pretty much over the "I can out IPA you" trend seen in most american "craft" micros. Unfortunately, there is a lot of really bad beer being covered up with hops, and marketed and sold as IPA this or IPA that.

OK, rant over now. :)

Hey Morena:

What does Nachisomerisierungszeit mean? I definitely need a translator for that site. Looks awesome though! Thanks for the tip!

"Nachisometrierungszeit" means, the time from fire out at the wort arrived temperature under 90 °C or 194 F. This time is used for adjusting your equipement on first time. A parameter for calculate the IBU's.
If you have more questions...no problem.

Greets

Back