stainless steal braided manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Can you purchase a stainless steal braided manifold at Lowes or Home Depot? I went to Lowes, and explained to 3 different people what I was looking for, and they looked at me liked I was stupid. Just curious if I was looking in the wrong place.

Never ask for help at Lowes unless you are just looking for entertainment. It is on a toilet supply line. They are over in plumbing usually right next to the toilet repair kits. Hope that helps.

I used a sink strainer this past brew and it worked great. It is a small nipple shaped strainer that I just bent to cover the output on my tun. No problems, easy to clean.

I use one of the hot water heater SS braids- it's big enough to go right over the fitting on the inside of my MLT with just a hose clamp to hold it. The smaller ones usually need some kind of reducer.

Look in the toilet repair area, plumbing supply line they are called. Make sure you read the label. I believe at HD some of the supply lines look like stainless, but are actually some type of plastic. These will not work.

Also after you cut the line,you need to push and not pull the inner tubing from the outer braid.

I can only imagine the looks on the people at Lowe's.....they have that same puzzled look even if they do know where to find an item. ( I shop at both HD and Lowes)

Hope this helps-Dirk

I have taken the tubing out of the stainless before, and you can in fact pull it out.

What I did was take a pair of needlenose pliers, and clamped on one tube wall. I then turned this around and around, while pulling very slowly. When there were a few inches out, I cut this off, and started again.

derogg said:
Look in the toilet repair area, plumbing supply line they are called. Make sure you read the label. I believe at HD some of the supply lines look like stainless, but are actually some type of plastic. These will not work.

Hope this helps-Dirk

+1

I didn't find any real stainless lines at my local Home Depot, they had 'em at Lowes. It's pretty easy to spot the difference once you know. the steel braid is a much finer weave.

I've never gotten good customer service at Lowe's ; but you can bet your a$$ everything has been neatly advertised bilingually.:mad:

I wonder if this has been covered on the WTF thread?

What size braid does everyone use?

If you're looking to make a manifold from the SS braids, you're going to have to purchase a couple SS toilet supply lines and fittings to construct one yourself. Make sure your getting SS and not the plastic imitation though.

Rather than buy the SS toilet lines, I'd just get a SS supply line for a washer. They come in longer lengths and are slightly bigger than the toilet lines.

Back