strange question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeAliceBrewery

Reaction score
I am two weeks away from bottling. But I have noticed something that is bothering and starting to worry me. The top of my Carboy still holds the krausen that was left behind from a heavy fermintation.

My question is...how does one avoid not getting this white nasty stuff in their beer when they transfer it to the bottling bucket? I am pretty sure this stuff could fall in during the process.

:confused:

How long has it been in the fermentor? Did your krausen rise stick to the top then fall down leaving some residue?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It has been in a day shy of a week. I had a heavy fermentation and had to add the blow off tube for a day before it settled down enough to sanitize and put back the airlock...the krausen was heavy and thick and pushed to the top of the 6 gallon carboy. The Krausen fell after a few days...but part of it remains stuck to the inside top of the carboy...heavy enough that I cannot see into the top of it.

Trust me Paps...I am...LOL. I tend to worry about things at time. Just wondering how I am going to deal with all that gunk falling into my beer when I move the carboy for the cold crash..

That stuff should fall on it's on before you bottle. I would leave it three weeks in primary before planning to bottle. You could also swirl the carboy gently to wash it down. Don't worry about mixing things up before cold crashing. The cold crash will settle everything out.

No need to worry, your krausen will eventually fall. There may be some adhering to the sides of your carboy, but the top of the beer will soon be krausen free. There is no science to the time line of when this occurs, and can only be attributed to the yeast completing their job. Give it another week or two at least. You must be patient at this point, although it is hard to do. :)

Thanks for the replies...it appears to be dried on...though I know there is so much sealed moisture in there it is not likely. By the way it is the Caribou Slobber extract beer...and from the many reviews that I have read....patience...patience....patience is gonna make this a tasy brew!:mug:

Back