Hard Drive Magnet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
I removed the magnets from an old hard drive. I will use this to make a stirrer.
The magnets are adhered to a metal base. Can anyone advice on how to remove the magnets from this metal base?

Thanks, Nil :mug:

I used dental floss and worked it in between the adhered magnet and mount. Then I used firm pressure and a sawing method. The floss slid through like a knife releasing the magnet.

I liked using this method rather than trying to pry/bend the mount. Much safer!

Bend the metal backing away from the magnet. works best with a bench vise and a GBF channel lock pliers

Bend the metal backing away from the magnet. works best with a bench vise and a GBF channel lock pliers

Yes, that's what I did. I grabbed the metal with a pair of vise grips and bent it, exactly as you say.

I'm deleting my post above. I think the only one I broke was when I tried to pry it with a screwdriver. It's been several years, I guess my memory sucks.

Back