Blichmann Boilermaker questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
I just upgraded to blichmann equipment. Materials seem quality but his instructions are really minimal.

Does the dip pipe on the inside of the boilermaker need to be super tight or should it have a little jiggle to it? The inside metal nut ring is tight but the pipe jiggles a little. Also by pulling on it it does slide out, should that happen?

Second what am I supposed to do with the steel sheet that came with it. I know it deflects heat but even on the blichmann burner it doesn't attach to anything to stay put. Seems weird.

Thanks.

Dip tube should be snug, but pull out with a little force. When installed it should not twist.

The metal sheet sits under the front edge of the kettle under the valve and sight glass. Nothing secures it, just the weight of the kettle pinching it to the burner frame.

So a little jiggle is ok?

That seems kinda lazy about the plate. So much planning in the equipment and then this plate seems strange.

Yeah, all of mine jiggle slightly. Fill it with water, connect a length of hose to the valve outlet, as long as it drains fully without breaking the siphon you're good. If it stops draining with a couple gallons still in there then it's a problem.

>>Does the dip pipe on the inside of the boilermaker need to be super tight or should it have a little jiggle to it? The inside metal nut ring is tight but the pipe jiggles a little. Also by pulling on it it does slide out, should that happen?

If the DipTube wiggles you may not get a siphon effect when you attach a silicone hose to the 1/2 Male NPT barb you need to get for the valve. This will leave 2 gallons of beer in teh pot.
2 solutions -
1: tip the pot forward and you will get all but 4-6 ounces
2: reseat the diptube

>>Second what am I supposed to do with the steel sheet that came with it. I know it deflects heat but even on the blichmann burner it doesn't attach to anything to stay put. Seems weird.

Its a heat shield. Notice the slot in the middle? It fits over a prong on the Blichman Burner.

You may need to re-seat the dip tube by loosening the Allen bolt on the retaining ring and sliding the dip tube back and forth a bit until the o-rings seat properly, then re-tighten. As Demon mentioned, it will still come out with a good yank.

As for the heat shield, I've had my Boilermaker several years now and the shield provided was just a piece of metal, no slot. I may have gotten it before Blichmann started offering burners. Anyway, I just make it work with my hurricane stove.

I loosened and resealed. I think tight enough. Still jiggles. It can be a twin with my waistline. Thanks for the advice.

Back