Hard Cider and Black Cherry Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Apfelwein isn't a new project of mine (I started it July 13; I'm planning on busting it out for Halloween) but I haven't posted my recipe yet, so here goes:

- 3 cups black cherry juice (R.W. Knudsen)
- 1 gallon Apple cider (Best Choice), subtract 8 cups
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Yeast: Lalvin EC-1118

Initial gravity: 1.102
Temp: 78 degrees F
Final Gravity: .992
Temp: 72 degrees F

Added 1/4 tsp. pectic enzyme, 1 campden tablet, 1/4 tsp. potassium sorbate, 3 cups of cider and 4 cups water after racking

When I tasted it last, it was dry and slightly tart but not overbearing. The alcohol taste was there but not overpowering. Very good so far.

Now, to the cider I just finished getting going.

I decided to try Nottingham Ale Yeast for this cider, as I've toyed with champagne and wine yeasts up to this point and wanted to try a yeast that doesn't allow the alcohol content to approach 20%. I'm hoping for a slightly sweet, maybe carbonated, cider that doesn't taste like Apple moonshine :). Here is my recipe:

- 2 large bottles Simply Apple juice
- 1 cup brown sugar, dissolved into 2 cups of the juice
- added an additional 1/2 cup table sugar to bump up the gravity a hair
- 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
- Nottingham Ale Yeast

Gravity started at 1.066 and the room temperature is roughly 76 degrees.

After bubbling starts (looks to be very soon) I'm going to let it go for a week, then check the gravity, wait another week or 2, rack and bottle. I'll update as I go.

Hmm I just noticed I have 2 threads of the same cider experiment going...ill update this one as the other one doesn't include my recipe. Up update this one with taste test results.

This tastes great! It is definitely strong (14.5%) but it is smooth, and the cherry flavor is really coming through now.

ForumRunner_20121018_203303.jpg

Back