Home Depot Special?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
If I find some clean, food grade five gallon buckets, can I brew and secondary in them? I need to be a "cheapo" for the time being and I know that most will recommend a 6.5 gallon for head space but, if I use a blow off tube can I get away with it? I could plan water usage to be just under five couldn't I?

I've read that people have done this, what does anyone else think?

The home depot buckets are $5, i think another dollar for a cover. You will then need a airlock, some kind of bung...etc. A ale pail or fermenting bucket is only about $ 8-9 a cover $2-3. I think that its worth it for the extra five dollars to get a fermenting bucket, no need to worry about foodgrade.....etc.

The true "cheapo" could do a 4 gallon batch in a 5 gal food grade bucket. You see, you don't want all of the krausen going out of the bucket because your healthy yeast is in there. No airlock needed, just leave the lid a bit loose.

Honestly as the other poster has said, I'd just get a 7.5 gal Ale Pail and skip all the hassle.

The Ale Pales are cheap and if you take care of them will last almost indefinately. Even if you're just doing a kit-and-kilo batch, you're spending more on the ingredients than you are on the bucket. I've said it before, but why risk all the money you have invested in ingredients (I've spend north of $40 on extract batches) to save $5 or $10 on a bucket that you're going to use dozens of times?

I've got several buckets and a bunch of "beginner stuff".

If you were nearby I'd give it away.

I keep hoping one of my friends will get the bug. I don't want to give it to someone that won't use it.

(sigh)

Anyone else have this problem?

I keep thinking about finding someone who wants to trade my glass carboy for their bucket. Honestly, I find no thrill out of carboys and with all the horror stories here, I'm dreading the day I get stitches and a messy floor as a result of using it.

average going rate of a bucket (without lid and airlock hardware) is $14. With no LHBS, and flat rate shipping and handling, it's north of $20 before it's at the door.

If anyone can post a link for the aforementioned $8-9 for a bucket, I'll order online. Otherwise (cheapo that I am) the search will continue. Next up, local bakeries....I truly appreciate everyone's input though.

At my house, ordering online is pretty regular and S&H is killing me! I did however, find a wine making store (that carries no beer ingrediants) that has buckets and grommets and lids with airlocks for basically the same price of what's online. ($17 out the door and I'm brewing)

Thanks again everyone.

Larry

Northern brew has buckets for $8.05 i guess with shipping it would be alot more. One of the places i go has them for $7.75 www.home-brew.com, but with shipping is more. I would prolly brew in a water bottle before a homedepot bucket.

My first brew I spent a total of $15 on the equipment.
$12 - 5 gallon plastic water carboy at Target
<$1 - rubber stopper
<$1 - a little tubing (create an air lock by running into a glass of water)
$1.50 - caps
Free - two cases of bottles from local bar
Free - use of friend's capper

I made two or three batches with that set up before I slowly upgraded.

Remember, brewing can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it and equally expensive or inexpensive as you want to make it.

lgtg said:
average going rate of a bucket (without lid and airlock hardware) is $14. With no LHBS, and flat rate shipping and handling, it's north of $20 before it's at the door.

If anyone can post a link for the aforementioned $8-9 for a bucket, I'll order online. Otherwise (cheapo that I am) the search will continue. Next up, local bakeries....I truly appreciate everyone's input though.

At my house, ordering online is pretty regular and S&H is killing me! I did however, find a wine making store (that carries no beer ingrediants) that has buckets and grommets and lids with airlocks for basically the same price of what's online. ($17 out the door and I'm brewing)

Thanks again everyone.

Larry

If you buy from Austin Homebrew it is $5.99 flat rate shipping, no matter what you buy (UPS Ground). Get the bucket (and lid, etc.) with your next batch (or two!) of ingredients and $5.99 is a steal.

I order from there because $5.99 is less than the cost of gas for me to get to the nearest decent LHBS.

Back