American Barleywine AG - Water Into Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally cracked a bottle of my bourbon/oak version of this (brewed in Nov, bottled in May). First off, I was thrilled with the carb and head retention for an 11.3% brew. Lots of fig and raisin on the nose. Taste is caramel, fig, plum, and the maple is surprisingly noticeable. Little bit of bourbon and oak in there, I almost get a kind of nutmeg type of spiciness from the oak. Very slight alcohol burn, needs time to mellow and integrate. Probably won't open any more bottles for another 2 months but really happy with it overall.

20160724_191104_zpskv8st95x.jpg

Did you add any additional yeast at bottling time?

I have some Chinook but would rather use it for the flavor/aroma addition of another beer.

I have quite a lot of other high alpha hops which I would like to use up.

- Target, Magnum, Taurus, Aurora, Summit

I guess Target would be the best option?

So I've come back to this beer.
Since my Yeti RIS clone worked out so well I really want to give another big beer a try.
I still have the flaked rye I bought last year for this :D
The Maple Syrup is there too and I have enough Chinook and Northern Brewer.;) So I'm all set :ban:
First up is an imperial porter though. :rockin:

Just opened a bottle. Brewed April 16 2016

IMG_3219.jpg

I only have four left which is a shame. It’s unbelievably tasty. At 4-6 months in I really couldn’t drink it, the alcohol was very brite and solvent, the nice flavors that once vanished quickly are now beautiful and lasting.

I really think that this beer would have the same level of complexity after a year in a barrel as it does with nearly two in the bottle. I may try that.

I brewed this beer in September of 2015 and just had the last 22oz bottle last night. It was delicious! I tried one at 3, 4, and 5 months to see how it was maturing. All were good but the 3 month certainly still had the alcohol burn and almost a raw hop flavor to it. Both had mellowed considerably at 5 months but all the flavors kind of stood out to me individually. Starting at 6 months it was almost like it was an entirely different beer. The hops, the maltiness, the maple flavor (no sweetness just flavor), all had blended beautifully into a very complex but smooth as silk beer. I'm putting this on the calendar as my next brew when time allows. It finished out at about 9.5% so a 5g batch may be a bit much to have sitting around for another 2½ years. I'll probably shoot for 3g into the fermenter next time around.

Brew this monster up again today with a few minor grain adjustments due to the LHBS inventory. Finished at 1.104 for a whopping 78% efficiency! Not too bad for BIAB of a (hopefully) 10.5% beer. Let's hear it for the ole Corona Mill. I utilized the tried and true "shake the carboy until it feels like your arms are gonna fall off" aeration method and pitched a healthy 1.8L starter of W1056 at roughly 67 degrees (letting it rise to 70). Lo and behold 2 1/2 hours later I already have airlock activity. Knowing just how well it turned out last time it's gonna be hard to let it sit for 6-8 months before I crack one open.

Amount
Fermentable
6.5 lb American - Pale 2-Row
2.6 lb Belgian - CaraMunich
1.6 lb Flaked Rye
0.32 lb Crystal 60L
0.32 lb Crystal 80L
0.13 lb Chocolate Wheat
1 lb Maple Syrup

Amount Hop Time
1.25oz Chinook 60min
.85oz N. Brewer 20min
.65oz N. Brewer 0min
1.25oz N. Brewer Dry Hop 7 days

Bottling question for you fine folks, I just racked 2.5g to secondary to sit for a month in the ferm. fridge. It finished out at 1.018 for an ABV of 11.29% if my numbers are accurate. That's just past the 11% limit for W1056 according to Wyeast. What I'm wondering is what exactly to do at bottling. Should I just use a normal priming calculator and go without additional yeast? Should I add a little? If I do need additional, which and how much? I don't want bottle bombs especially considering it'll likely be sitting for the better part of a year before I crack one open. I also want to make sure that the high ABV isn't too much for the remaining yeast to deal with when carbing up.

FWIW, I just brewed a Stout with 1056 that ended up slightly higher than your Barleywine. 3 weeks in the Primary and 3 weeks in the Secondary on oak and bourbon. I added cold brew coffee and normal priming solution at bottling. It carbed up fine.

FWIW, I just brewed a Stout with 1056 that ended up slightly higher than your Barleywine. 3 weeks in the Primary and 3 weeks in the Secondary on oak and bourbon. I added cold brew coffee and normal priming solution at bottling. It carbed up fine.
Ok thanks for the info. I'm thinking I might do just that. Surely after 6-8 months it'll be sufficiently bubbly.

Bottling question for you fine folks, I just racked 2.5g to secondary to sit for a month in the ferm. fridge. It finished out at 1.018 for an ABV of 11.29% if my numbers are accurate. That's just past the 11% limit for W1056 according to Wyeast. What I'm wondering is what exactly to do at bottling. Should I just use a normal priming calculator and go without additional yeast? Should I add a little? If I do need additional, which and how much? I don't want bottle bombs especially considering it'll likely be sitting for the better part of a year before I crack one open. I also want to make sure that the high ABV isn't too much for the remaining yeast to deal with when carbing up.

Should be OK after a month but if you are keeping it cool you never know.
If you want to be on the safe side you can rehydrate and add 1/2 a pack of S-33 to your bottling bucket.
It's has lower attenuation than w1056 so will only convert the priming sugar, has higher alc tolerance and is very cheap.
The only disadvantage is that it doesn't flocc very good but that shouldn't be a problem if you are leaving the bottles for a year, plus not much yeast will be produced from conditioning anyway.

This is what I did. Unfortunately this has been sitting in my kitchen pantry for about 2 months now, I decided to try a bottle tonight to gauge how it's aging and while the taste is delicious there is ZERO carbonation. I'm talking not even a hiss when I opened the bottle. I've got 13 22oz bottles left. Should I just rehydrate ½ a pack of US04 (05?) and split it between the bottles and then recap? Like I said the taste is great but with such a big body (FG of 1.018) it really needs some bubbles.

Water Into Barleywine

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 19.00
Anticipated OG: 1.10628 Plato: 25.119
Anticipated SRM: 18.2
Anticipated IBU: 95.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
52.6 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
21.1 4.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.03700 8
13.2 2.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.03400 2
7.9 1.50 lbs. Maple Syrup Generic 1.03100 35
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.03400 55
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.03300 90

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 74.3 60 min.
1.33 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 20.8 20 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 17.50

Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 60

Water Into Barleywine

A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 19.00
Anticipated OG: 1.10628 Plato: 25.119
Anticipated SRM: 18.2
Anticipated IBU: 95.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
52.6 10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
21.1 4.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.03700 8
13.2 2.50 lbs. Flaked Rye America 1.03400 2
7.9 1.50 lbs. Maple Syrup Generic 1.03100 35
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.03400 55
2.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.03300 90

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 74.3 60 min.
1.33 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 20.8 20 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 17.50

Saccharification Rest Temp : 148 Time: 60

Hello-

I have a couple of questions I was hoping y'all could answer:

When they say 'Saccharification Rest Temp' is that the temperature we should mash at?

I saw a post about adding the maple syrup at flame out and at 15 min before flame out. What kind of difference would that make?

How much wort should I have at pre-boil for a 90 min boil?

When do I add the 'dry hops'? During primary or secondary?

Thanks in advance!

Hello-

I have a couple of questions I was hoping y'all could answer:

When they say 'Saccharification Rest Temp' is that the temperature we should mash at?

I saw a post about adding the maple syrup at flame out and at 15 min before flame out. What kind of difference would that make?

How much wort should I have at pre-boil for a 90 min boil?

When do I add the 'dry hops'? During primary or secondary?

Thanks in advance!

I’m getting ready to brew this after the holidays. I think I can answer your questions from past experiences. The saccharification rest is your mash temp. You can add the syrup anytime in the last 15 minutes. You just want it well mixed and you don’t want it to lay in the bottom of kettle as it will burn. The amount of pre-boil wort depends on your boil off rate. Based on my 15 gal kettle I would have about 7.5 gal. I would dry hop for the last 7 days prior to bottling or kegging

Hmmm, maybe because the beer is big it will help, but id be safe and use only 1oz. my experience with oaking my ipa did not go well. Although, you could pasteurize(put them in boiling water to take some of the potency away) them and then soak them in some whiskey or something for a couple of days and it might give you less of an overriding oak affect.

I’m doing this with my barley wine-1oz oak chips and 2oz Irish whiskey. I also dry-hopped with Nelson and Pacific Jade in order to get some New Zealand peppery into the beer.

I should be bottling this at Christmas 2018, 2 months total between primary and secondary.

Now back to reading this thread...

This is what I did. Unfortunately this has been sitting in my kitchen pantry for about 2 months now, I decided to try a bottle tonight to gauge how it's aging and while the taste is delicious there is ZERO carbonation. I'm talking not even a hiss when I opened the bottle. I've got 13 22oz bottles left. Should I just rehydrate ½ a pack of US04 (05?) and split it between the bottles and then recap? Like I said the taste is great but with such a big body (FG of 1.018) it really needs some bubbles.

I had a wee heavy that I believe the yeast pooped out in it. I used a pack of champagne yeast and it was able to withstand the high ABV and chew up my priming sugar and get me some carbonation.

Just got the grist for this ground today. I have never tried an American barleywine before but have brewed big beers. This was right in my wheelhouse and will get a tryout on Christmas Eve!

Just got the grist for this ground today. I have never tried an American barleywine before but have brewed big beers. This was right in my wheelhouse and will get a tryout on Christmas Eve!

2 days and counting for my HB barleywine. I made a gallon batch in August. It was so good. Been taking up real-estate in the family fridge waiting for Christmas. I thought that maybe some of my problems would be resolved by now, but I’ll still count my blessings this Christmas because life is precious and even when we hurt there is value in it. I’m sure you’ll all be on pins and needles waiting for my toast to you all on HBT on Christmas eve on the “what am I drinking now” thread. I’ll be toasting with a homebrewed barleywine I call “Count Your Blessings American Barleywine”.

Back