cask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishplague

Reaction score
I've just been asked by a friend if I could brew some beer for their wedding reception. I accepted, but I dont want to bottle it, and i don't have kegging equipment, so i was thinking about cask conditioning it. Does anyone know where i can buy a cask?

Have them pay for your kegging rig. Plan on brewing at least 20 gallons, possibly 30. So 6 cornie kegs at $30 is $180, plus regulator and tap, you're looking at around $300. Add in ingredients for the brewing, you're looking at another $200-$300. So $600 for this.

Or you could split the cost with them?

I don't have a source but consider the risks associated with cask beer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE cask beer, but there are more unknowns associated with putting a 'special occasion beer' into a cask. You may not be able to brew a back-up brew if somethign goes wrong.

Just consider the risks.

Ok, this is just my opinion, but if you have never kegged or casked beer before, why would you want to start now? Especially since the pressure is on, and the people at the wedding who drink your beer will be the judges of its quality.

Sure, you may need to collect a ton of empties, and bottling a couple hundred beers might be tedious. But personally I'd stick with something you are comfortable with (bottling).

If you have ample time before the wedding to bottle condition your beers (about a month in bottle at least), that's what I'd do. However if you are pressed for time, kegging will be your only option to have the beer ready on time.

how big is this wedding party? kegging kits for a single keg can be had for about 180, then just pick up a couple more kegs off craigslist. i would say it's fair to split the cost with the folks having the wedding. you could probably (if you're doing all grain) get the grains to do 20 gallons for about 60 dollars given ample time and yeast re-use. so figure 350 dollars total, split between, not too bad with a bit of deal hunting.

I've just been asked by a friend if I could brew some beer for their wedding reception. I accepted, but I dont want to bottle it, and i don't have kegging equipment, so i was thinking about cask conditioning it. Does anyone know where i can buy a cask?

I just made a Hefeweizen for my wedding favors, even though i do keg my beer, the Blichmann beer gun helped me bottle 120 beers in about 30 min. Just to give you and estimate on beer amount, 15 gallons of beer made about 150 bottles.

Have them pay for the kegging stuff first, or purchase it for yourself to use for later beer making, kegging is awesome

Ok, this is just my opinion, but if you have never kegged or casked beer before, why would you want to start now? Especially since the pressure is on, and the people at the wedding who drink your beer will be the judges of its quality.

Sure, you may need to collect a ton of empties, and bottling a couple hundred beers might be tedious. But personally I'd stick with something you are comfortable with (bottling).

If you have ample time before the wedding to bottle condition your beers (about a month in bottle at least), that's what I'd do. However if you are pressed for time, kegging will be your only option to have the beer ready on time.

+1 that's what I was trying to say...

If you (the OP) are going to move forward with the cask, then I would contact a local brewery that does a cask ale. I would go in during the day and talk to the brewer, and I would explain your goal and ask for pointers. Who knows, he/she may have a great source for a cask and some worthwhile pointers.

Are you trying to brew enough beer for the entire reception, or more of a special "toast" beer for one or two servings per person?

If the later I'd pick up some 32oz swing top bottles. You'd cut your bottling time dramatically, and two bottles per table should cover a toast.

One thing to keep in mind is that most Americans don't like flat, warm beer, so kegging or bottling may be a better option.

You know, I didn't even think to ask the question... OP, do you intend to use 'traditional' wooden casks or newer, stainless ones?

That'll influence my input!!!

Yeah, maybe that was a silly idea since i've never done it before, I have a ton of flip tops and regular bottles, so I think i'll just go ahead and bottle it. It will just be for like reception favors and toasts, I may even see if they want to have some custom labels made.

My BIL made us a Redding Bells Red with a custom label and it was by far, one of the best gifts. Good beer too! Good luck and lets us know how it turns out.

Back