Conversion of Briess Pilsen LME to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcberlin

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to convert Briess Pilsen LME to all grain. The Briess website does not give the exact ingredients only that it is made of a base malt and carapils malt. I am unclear of the ratio and the exact base malt to use.

Thanks,
Carl

I'm not sure, but I think it is around 0.7 - 0.75# LME per pound of grain. I had it written down once, but don't recall where I put it.

Yes, plan on .75 pounds of LME= 1 pound pilsner malt grain. One pound of carapils (total) for 10 pounds of grain is sufficient.

So that is 9 lbs pilsner malt (90%) and 1 pound carapils (10%) for a total of 10 lbs of grain?

I am trying to convert an extract recipe that calls for 50% Pilsen LME and 50% Munich LME. Correct me if I am wrong...The grain bill for a mixture of 3.5 lbs of Briess Pilsen LME and 3.5 lbs of Briess Munich LME would be:

4.2 lbs Pilsner grain
0.47 lbs Carapils grain
2.3 lbs 2-Row grain
2.3 lbs Munich grain

Breiss web site says the Muncih LME is made of 50% Base Malt and 50% Muncih Malt.

Thanks,
Carl

If it were me, I'd just go with 7 lbs of 2-row or 7 lbs of pilsner, along with 2.5 lbs of Munich, probably in the 10 L range, and .5 lbs carapils.

No real point in not rounding up/down to the nearest half-pound increment. If you're new to all-grain, you probably won't nail your gravity anyway, so why sweat it? Plus, unless it's a particularly delicate lager, combining pilsner malt & 2 row won't probably be very noticeable in the finished product, so just go with one or the other.

Back