Commercial Kegerator - What Questions to Ask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ell

Reaction score
I've run across a kegerator on Craigslist that is $150 - I think it's probably a pretty good deal.

What questions do I need to ask to make sure I can use it for my homebrew?

Thanks!

I suppose just make sure it works. :)

If you use corny kegs you should find out how many of those you can fit in it - that'd be my biggest concern.

I suppose just make sure it works. :)

If you use corny kegs you should find out how many of those you can fit in it - that'd be my biggest concern.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If it'll hold one commercial keg, there's just no way it won't hold 2 cornies, right?

Check the door seal. Every one I've bought had to have door seals replaced. Not a hard fix, but the seals for mine run about $30 each.

1) top mounted draft tower or door mounted taps?
2) temperature range (integrated thermostat, or need an external controller?)
3) capacity (2 or 3 corny kegs will fit?)
4) CO2 cylinder fits inside with the kegs, or external only)
5) was it a DIY build, or commercial product
6) how much? you can build one for about $500 using a brand new mini fridge.
7) what's included (kegs, taps, line?)

photo by EllBama, on Flickr

It comes with the keg, the CO2 tank and the lines.

It's $150. My only hesitation is height. Anyone think my corny kegs will fit?

It looks like the keg in the pic is suspended above the floor of the fridge due to its width (there is a "step" in practically all mini fridges where the compressor is). I would ask for the measurements of the interior, but I would wager that two corney kegs will fit (slightly staggered) on the floor level, and the co2 tank will fit on the step behind them.

Edited to add:

... and get rid of that pisswater tap handle! (or paint it ;) )

I looked at one on Craig's List about a month ago that looked just like the one in your picture. It was somewhat small inside and I somehow got the feeling that the kid I was dealing with didn't really have permission to be selling it! He said he needed to sell it to fix the clutch in his truck. I didn't want his dad hunting me down for stealing it.

Back