What do you guys think about an official "beer exchange?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been inspired by a recent episode of the BasicBrewing podcast. Do you guys think it would be feasible to start some kind of official beer exchange on homebrewtalk.com.. Or maybe even a standalone website?.. Guys could sign up to "trade" their greatest homebrew masterpieces with other homebrewers. I know that a lot of that goes on here "unofficially" already, but do you guys think we could ever start some kind of official thread or forum or site where we could have a community of homebrewers willing to trade their beers for other peoples beers? I think it would be a great way to try lots of beer as well as get honest feedback from our colleagues. Of course there would be a few details to work out, and everything would be based on the honor system (I think homebrewers are an honest lot) to ship beers, but I think we could totally start something like that.. In fact, I think it could be the start of something big.. What do you guys think?

I think people probably will be honorable, but it'd still be a good idea to have someone (or a few someones) in charge who could kick people out if they weren't sending beer.

Aside from that, sounds like a great idea to me.

It might be wise to contact you local liquor board to ask them if its ok.:rolleyes:

On the Brews Brothers forum, they call it Beer Pass. Once people sign on, an organizer matches up senders and receivers. I joined that forum too late for the June session, but I think it is a great idea.

I think it is a great idea. I would like to try some of the brews that other people make. However I do not feel my first beer is up to par for sharing.

i'd be in. as long as i didn't get more than two of the same beer styles in a row.;) and as for the donating end, i think there should maybe be a multi-tiered level for entries: say one for begginer brewers(or beers that you don't feel are your best) with that category looking for feedback and recomendations. the second for experamental/unusual/moderately good brews: something to show off, spark curiosities, styles not usually avaliable. and the third for those beers you're really proud of-personal bests, award winners, and styles that need extra long conditioning.

I have been inspired by a recent episode of the BasicBrewing podcast. Do you guys think it would be feasible to start some kind of official beer exchange on homebrewtalk.com.. Or maybe even a standalone website?.. Guys could sign up to "trade" their greatest homebrew masterpieces with other homebrewers. I know that a lot of that goes on here "unofficially" already, but do you guys think we could ever start some kind of official thread or forum or site where we could have a community of homebrewers willing to trade their beers for other peoples beers? I think it would be a great way to try lots of beer as well as get honest feedback from our colleagues. Of course there would be a few details to work out, and everything would be based on the honor system (I think homebrewers are an honest lot) to ship beers, but I think we could totally start something like that.. In fact, I think it could be the start of something big.. What do you guys think?

I want the barter system back. I give you beer you give me grain or hops to make my beer. This sounds like great idea for brewers to learn from eachother. We could become a more advanced community as a whole.

i've been involved with T-shirt exchanges on a sportster forum and basically they had an "Official _____ Swap Sign-Up Thread" where you post your name and location and type of product (i.e. style of beer for this one). There would be a deadline, and after that is passed the thread closes. \

Then the organizer (whoever starts the thread and swap) starts a "Official _____ Swap Pairings Thread" where they post the pairings who will swap with each other. Then the members of the swap will post when they have contacted, confirmed, and sent the product.

It has been mostly successful but there have been some deadbeats who would just never respond or bail out or whatever. All you do then is just call them out on the public forum and let everyone know not to deal with them. It is then up to a mod to decide if it's ban worthy or not.

Back