I don't know if I'm ready..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskortney

Reaction score
I've wanted to brew my own beer for years now, and I'm finally at a time and place where it is feasible. I am buying a kit this weekend and diving head-first. I understand the basic principles of brewing, I've read quite a bit here, and I want to get started... but I'm still at a bit of a loss as to exactly how to get started. The brew store has a lot of books and the kit comes with a manual.. should I assume that will be enough to step me through the process?

I just went into a total panic. LOL!! "OMG, I'm going to make my own beer? Am I ready? Do I know what I'm getting into? I need an adult!"

So, I have enjoyed lurking here over the last couple days and I'm ready to start my trek into the unknown.. and I'm a big, talk-y, sharing type, so I just want to put myself out there and say, "HEY, HOME BREWERS! I'M HERE AND NOT SURE IF I'M READY!" :eek::fro:

And kind words or gentle nudgings wouldn't be turned down right now.

go for it! :mug:

Find a kit, get some ingredients (throw away the directions and post your recipe on here and we'll all help ya do it the right way)!

www.howtobrew.com, it will set you in the right direction, and give you just about everything you need to know to brew your first batch.

Or as AZ_IPA says post the recipe, we'll give you a hand.

Calm down... take a breather... drink a beer.

Homebrewing is pretty simple. It sounds tricky, (and to some it may be) but once you dive in, you'll get the hang of it very quickly. We're all here if you have questions about the process.

For now, I suggest you visit this site http://www.howtobrew.com and read the first section.

The directions that come with your kit will most likely be fine, but there are a few things it might not tell you. The above link will get you on your way to brewing great beer.

I always say...if you can cook, you can brew. It only gets hard when you make it that way. Diving into all-grain, and water chemisty, and yeast culturing....that's when it gets interesting. You don't need to worry about that now though.

Well, I'm a fantastic cook... This should be cake! :)

Thank you all so much! I will certainly be back over the weekend to get more information.. I'll read the links and see what my home brew store has to say, and of course, I'll have to have a beer.

Well, I'm a fantastic cook... This should be cake!

That's modest. Seriously, I cook a ton, too, and brewing is a great extension of cooking. For example, I think of AG brewing as just like making a chicken stock, then adding yeast (i.e., heat the goodness out of bulk ingredients, then reduce it and season). Make a step-by-step list, have a beer, and get started.

And let us know how it goes.

+1 on the How To Brew site.....between that and a few kind nudges on here to Relax and be patient i have two successful brews under my belt, looking forward to number three on sunday....

i had similar apprehension when starting, but, honestly, after you do it once, you'll wonder why the hell you didn't start earlier. good luck, this site and howtobrew.com will be your best friends. fire away with any questions you have. cheerio!

Right now, the most important thing to learn is RDWHAHB = "Relax, don't worry. Have a home-brew..."

Good luck and welcome to the obsession...I mean, hobby!
:mug:

-Tripod

F it, you'll be fine.
For me: I read How to Brew and Joy of Homebrewing, but not the whole thing. If you try to mash All Grain procedures in to your head you'll explode. Ther'll be time for that later. Then I got equipment and played with it a little.
I was a cook for 18 years so the kitchen part was no big deal to me. I started simple with all extract and dry yeast.
Clean and sanitize, give yourself time, have a beer handy, and write down in big letters each particular step so you can quickly refer when you forget what's next. Invite a friend for extra help and good times.

F it, you'll be fine.
For me: I read How to Brew and Joy of Homebrewing, but not the whole thing. If you try to mash All Grain procedures in to your head you'll explode. Ther'll be time for that later. Then I got equipment and played with it a little.
I was a cook for 18 years so the kitchen part was no big deal to me. I started simple with all extract and dry yeast.
Clean and sanitize, give yourself time, have a beer handy, and write down in big letters each particular step so you can quickly refer when you forget what's next. Invite a friend for extra help and good times.

+1

also, get a stopwatch timer thing that has big numbers that are easy to read. The seconds aren't important, as long as you're close with the hops.

Also, don't suck on the end of the tubing to get a siphon started...

I was exactly in the same situation before jumping in on impulse. Who knew this was so addictive (the brewing not the beer). I feel like I appreciate beer on a different level now. I think my friends appreciate me on a different level too. :tank:

There is something a little weird in completely ignoring the beer section of a grocery store. :p

You guys have made me feel better already! The howtobrew site is freaking amazing and exactly what I needed. I thought I would spend my Friday night playing some PS3, but I've been so wrapped up JUST READING about brewing that I haven't thought to do anything else.

UPDATE: I am ready. And excited.

You brew AND play PS3? If I weren't married I'd say run away with me! Aw, hell...run away with me anyway! (just don't tell my SWMBO...)

-Tripod

You brew AND play PS3? If I weren't married I'd say run away with me! Aw, hell...run away with me anyway! (just don't tell my SWMBO...)

-Tripod

I don't know that my boyfriend would like that very much... ;) ... but I'll gladly hang around here and talk dude stuff with you guys as long as you continue to help me with my beer!

The worst that can happen is you make beer. Sure, it may not be perfect the first time, but it will be beer. Enjoy!

Agreed. Buttloads of people act like this is some science. It is a craft. follow the basics and you'll be fine.

I think it was all of the scientific-sounding discussions that put me in a panic. Now that I've started to understand the terminology better and I've looked at a lot of step-by-step photos, it does just look like cooking.

So, random question:

Where and how does everyone keep their temperatures steady for fermentation? And how is the best way to monitor temperatures? In Colorado the outdoor temps can fluctuate all over the place in a day, and I find it hard to regulate the temperature in my old house anyway. If I store in a spare bedroom, off the floor, and the temperature ranges 68-75 in a day, will I be okay? Or am I getting too worried about the science that isn't really important at this point?

Simple answer..."swamp cooler". Get a rubbermaid big enough for your fermenter. Fill it with water and put your fermenter in with the water. You can get a stick-on thermometer like you'd use on an aquarium to tell what the temp of your beer is. If it's too hot, add ice to the water. If it's too cold, use an aqarium heater to tweak the temp until it's just right.

It's not the best photo but you can see the stick-on thermometer I use here...
DSC04248.jpg
I don't have any handy pics of the swamp cooler but do a search and you'll find plenty.

Hope that helps...

-Tripod

Check out a few youtube videos, they will help you realize how simple it is and you will pickup pointers quickly. Its amazing how simple it can be really. My friend and I tried making our first one about a year ago and it didn't turn out well. After watching a few videos I can point out about 10 mistakes we made. The ones after youtube came out very very good. Good luck

If your temps only range from 68-75 then dont worry too much. Liquid takes awhile to change temps, so you'll probably end up right around 71 which isn't too bad. After you get your first brew made then you can worry about temps. For now, just worry about the process and getting that right.

The mere fact that you are questioning your skills sets you up for being a good brewer. You will obviously pay attention to the important stuff (sanitaion) After that, it's a cake walk. :)

I think it was all of the scientific-sounding discussions that put me in a panic. Now that I've started to understand the terminology better and I've looked at a lot of step-by-step photos, it does just look like cooking.

The science thing is an aspect that many home brewers enjoy. I enjoy it too myself, but I think it turns new brewers off very easily and this should be a fun hobby, not a chore. If you get a good basic equipment kit, a good recipe kit with well written instructions and properly sanitize and handle everything it is just like cooking any other recipe.

What ultimately convinced me to take the plunge was going to my lhbs, High Gravity in Tulsa and watching one of their beer workshops. Dave Knott, the guy who runs the store is as laid back and easy going as anyone you would ever want to meet. He ran the workshop the same way.

Definately save the science for a few batches down the road. If you do all extraxt for your first batch you will be able to focus on the process. After the first time of that you'll want to do more. Like and extract with steeping grains.

Welcome to HBT!

A couple quick things to add -

- Make sure you get your BF or someone else to help - brewing alone is best for when you have more experience, plus its very entertaining to brew with someone.
- You'll see this in all the books, and all over HBT - sanitation is key! make sure everything is clean - I dont think you can be too anal about sanitation.
- I'm assuming you will be brewing in the kitchen - make sure you clear everything out, no dirty dishes in the sink or anything. Brewing can get slightly hectic at times when you are starting out, but just lay out all your ingredients, have your equipment ready and you should be good.
- Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew! (or a good craft beer until you make your own.):mug:

EDIT - One last thing - if you have any questions, before, during or after your brew, post them on here before making any drastic decisions. Most of the time you will get a pretty quick reply, and the more advanced brewer's on here have tons of information. Before you ask though, check out the stickies in the beginners forum - the This vs That analysis is pretty good, and between that and doing a search , you'll find most of your questions have already been asked at least 10 times (a week)

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned making a list. A while back I found one that really works for me, it's at http://www.brewersfriend.com/ (the Brew day checklist for extract is the one I currently use). I'm a decent cook as long as I have some guidelines so between the recipe and this list I feel pretty comfortable.

You asked about keeping the fermentation cool and here in Southern California that's been an issue for the past few months. Then I saw where somebody posted using an Igloo cooler like this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663765 I bought one and I'm using it for the first time on my current batch. Our house has been in the 80's the past couple weeks and the cooler keeps the temperature of the fermenter in the 65° range with just one 2 liter ice bomb a day.

Enjoy the addiction:mug:

I would just say it's like loosing your virginity. Your anxious, but once you do it you wonder why the hell you waited so long.

Back