Milk beer/wine idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster2256

Reaction score
Anyone ever experiment with milk and β-galactosidase (lactase) to produce a milk-sugar derived alcoholic beverage? Just think of the possibilities, Chocolate milk stout, peanut cream ale, etc.

Yeah, milk has been fermented for years. Kefir is a fermented beverage that history has lost the origin of (perhaps somewhere in the Caucasus). It's pretty tasty, like a less-viscous yogurt. Add some pureed fruit to it, and you've got a great breakfast on the go.

The alcohol level, though is low - 0.5% ABV, perhaps.

lactose is not an easily fermented sugar, I know of a few sour yeast strains that night chew through it

but you are still left with a sour milk product

If I remember right milk begins to curdle in the presence of alcohol

-Jason

My whole idea is based off the use of lactase, which breaks up lactose into glucose and galactose (both monosaccharides). I know galactose is relatively fermentable, although a bit harsh on the yeast.

And how would it taste? I'm not sure these endeavers would taste good in beer (or conventional beer at least)....sake maybe, wine maybe?

I have no idea. I haven't heard of anything like it, so I imagine its worth a try.
Thought of it as an extra ingredient to my oatmeal ale (unmalted oats+ alpha galactosidase for greater fermentability).

Well you could always experiment with adding whatever amount of regular dextrose to up the gravity, but keep a cleaner profile. Actually, the extra foreign stout that I'm conditioning now had a pound of it to raise the gravity. I think the main reason it's not used in beer is A: expense, and B: there's plenty of other readily available sugars to try. It seems to me that you're doing a lot for returns that you can probably get from "accepted" beer ingredients. But if you're thinking of this as a science experiment, give it a try some time and let us know how it turns out :D

Milk usually goes bad because airborne bacteria converts lactose into lactic acid, which then lowers the pH of the milk until the casein proteins clump up. So lets say I convert the lactose into glucose and galactose, (no more lactic acid) balance the pH to account for the slight acidity of alcohol being produced (no more clumps); under sanitary conditions, would the milk still go bad during or after the process of normal yeast fermentation?

Back