Briess recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaston

Reaction score
Hello all

Just got my first beer into the fermentor and I have found I really like to brew! The reason I tried it out was because I was encouraged by my father in law, who just happens to be one of the head salesmen at briess. I started off with a brewers best kit at the advice of my LHBS owner so I could get the hang of it with some instructions and such.

So now that I have done the kit, and have unlimited access to briess malt, do you guys have any recipe suggestions that you may have tried using their malt extract?

I brewed up the midwest cascade pale ale pm kit 10/9. It used a 3.3lb jug of Briesse gold LME with 5lb of grains. It came out amber orange With nice cascade hop flavor. Very well balanced with a bit of crispness on the back.

Briess makes just about everything. So, instead of basing your recipes around what they have available, just make what you like. If you don't know, then buy Brewing Classic Styles (Jamil Z) and make them all. It's the best recipe book IMO.

Briess is a great maltster with great product. I like their website, and I've heard them speak in podcasts. You're lucky to be associated.

the briess website has a bucket-ful of recipes of every style imaginable, and all with their products.

decide what you like to drink, and go on their website, and brew it.

the briess website has a bucket-ful of recipes of every style imaginable, and all with their products.

decide what you like to drink, and go on their website, and brew it.

By the way this is what I did. Picked out some of their recipies and they shipped everything to my father in law and we had some fun.

I have since moved onto all grain and have a 50lb bag of 2 row on its way to his house. I believe I got very lucky with the family I married into:mug:

Thank you all for your advice. It forced me to do more research into what I like instead of making the first thing you posted.

I am wanting to brew Briess Turtle on a Log; http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Recipes/beer/display/turtle-on-a-log

But I'm not sure how long to ferment it for. The recipe uses Wyeast 1056 Ale Yeast, (Temperature Range 60-72 F. My local home brew only had Fermentis Safale US-05 (Temperature Range 53.6-77F [ideally 59.7-71.6 F]) . The Briess recipe says to “cool to 55-60 F and transfer to primary fermenter”, “top off with cold water, Oxygenate and pitch yeast” and basically stops there… :confused:
It's a dark ale, I think I'm going to ferment at about 60 F, the Yeast producer (Fermentis) recommends 59.7-71.6 F.

Any thoughts on how long to ferment?
Secondary fermentation, if so how long?

I tried emailing Briess about a couple of their recipes but only got a reply on one, after a couple of weeks. :(

I am wanting to brew Briess Turtle on a Log; http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Recipes/beer/display/turtle-on-a-log

But I'm not sure how long to ferment it for. The recipe uses Wyeast 1056 Ale Yeast, (Temperature Range 60-72 F. My local home brew only had Fermentis Safale US-05 (Temperature Range 53.6-77F [ideally 59.7-71.6 F]) . The Briess recipe says to “cool to 55-60 F and transfer to primary fermenter”, “top off with cold water, Oxygenate and pitch yeast” and basically stops there… :confused:
It's a dark ale, I think I'm going to ferment at about 60 F, the Yeast producer (Fermentis) recommends 59.7-71.6 F.

Any thoughts on how long to ferment?
Secondary fermentation, if so how long?

I tried emailing Briess about a couple of their recipes but only got a reply on one, after a couple of weeks. :(

I am pretty sure 1056 is the chico strain. If so, ferment around 65F. Too low and you can get weird peachy esters. Then just ferment until it's done. Usually 10-14 days. No need for secondary. Once you have confirmed final gravity, cold crash and bottle or keg.

If all you have is US-05, then by all means, use it! I believe it's also the Chico strain, has good attenuation, and tends to ferment a little dry. I'd recommend keeping the ferm temp at/about 60-64*F. That should produce a very good beer. +1 on not needing a secondary. 10-14 days is usually more than sufficient. If you are going to bottle, it's usually safe to do so when the Final Gravity reading stays the same for 2 or more days. Just be careful and use a good priming calculator to determine how much priming sugar to use.

If all you have is US-05, then by all means, use it! I believe it's also the Chico strain, has good attenuation, and tends to ferment a little dry. I'd recommend keeping the ferm temp at/about 60-64*F. That should produce a very good beer. +1 on not needing a secondary. 10-14 days is usually more than sufficient. If you are going to bottle, it's usually safe to do so when the Final Gravity reading stays the same for 2 or more days. Just be careful and use a good priming calculator to determine how much priming sugar to use.

Thanks everybody for the quick replies !:mug:
About priming when bottling, I just bottled my "Briess "3 Muskets Ale" with 5.5 oz of Briess Sparkling Amber DME, boiled in 2 cups of water for ten minutes, (2.5 gal batch), instead of sugar. I read about using DME somewhere here, It will take three weeks instead of two to carbonate. I can't wait to try it. :D

Thanks everybody for the quick replies !:mug:
About priming when bottling, I just bottled my "Briess "3 Muskets Ale" with 5.5 oz of Briess Sparkling Amber DME, boiled in 2 cups of water for ten minutes, (2.5 gal batch), instead of sugar. I read about using DME somewhere here, It will take three weeks instead of two to carbonate. I can't wait to try it. :D

So it's been a while...how did it turn out?

So it's been a while...how did it turn out?

Tasted good, a little malty....

Turns out that the Briess DME is a 1:1 direct replacement for sugar, so I had more than double the amount needed to carbonate. I had most of them in Grosch bottles and a few in plastic bottles. I new something was wrong when I squeezed the plastic bottles a day or two after bottling and they were hard already. :smack:

I opened a grolsch bottle in the sink,:p and in a few seconds I had a beer volcano...

I ended up carefully pasteurizing them to avoid bottle bombs, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=193295 ,

I had a few that were flat, but the rest had a nice pop when opened and good foamy head.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46360&page=641

:mug:

Back