American IPA All Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a whole pound of Crystal 40 I'd like to use up, how much would it effect the recipe if I stepped the whole pound?

I think it should be fine. The other Amarillo recipe I was looking at was James Spencer's 15 minute Amarillo Ale which used a full pound of Crystal (and 60L at that!)

I tapped my keg of this and holy jebus, this beer is incredible!!

Thank you for the recipe!!

Normally I am not a big IPA fan, but someone I know made this beer and I enjoyed it tremendously. So I made a batch on Wednesday and this is what I came home to on Thursday afternoon...

36198_404417447959_536422959_4568481_4817649_n.jpg

The LHBS was out of Safale-05 so I used 04 instead...I doubt that would have that much effect on the results, but I do know that blow-offs are in my immediate future...

Just cracked open the first ones last night to celebrate the holiday. Wow! That's all I can say. It's just about perfect for me, not too bitter, but still bitter enough. This one will definitely be in my rotation. Thanks for the great recipe.:mug:

I found this recipe looking for an IPA to make for my second batch, and with all the great reviews, I am going to brew tomorrow night. Gonna follow the recipe basically as it is.

Safale - 05 was a no go, but the shop owner recommended White Labs Liquid Yeast WLP007. I am new to brewing and know the less about yeast than anything else... Will this yeast be good for the brew? I'm going to use it either way but I wonder what the difference will be compared to the 05.

I found this recipe looking for an IPA to make for my second batch, and with all the great reviews, I am going to brew tomorrow night. Gonna follow the recipe basically as it is.

Safale - 05 was a no go, but the shop owner recommended White Labs Liquid Yeast WLP007. I am new to brewing and know the less about yeast than anything else... Will this yeast be good for the brew? I'm going to use it either way but I wonder what the difference will be compared to the 05.

The first time I made this, I used WLP005. At that time, I was doing extract. Since then, I stepped the IBU up to around 80 in which case I don't feel the more expensive WLP005 is any different to the Safale - 05. The higher IBUs scale down the yeast flavor...at least in my opinion. But, if you make this according the original recipe at 45 IBU, I would recommend the WLP005. I am becoming a hop head and the original recipe didn't have enough hops for my taste. So, either add more at the beginning of the boil or do more for late addition.

It really is a great beer. I think it is one of my all time favorites. The most recent batch I made used a half pound of Amarillo. And it still could have used more.

It'll be fine with 005. I like it best with Bell's Ale yeast or WLP051/Wyeast 1272, but WLP005 will make a fine beer with this recipe. The hops will pretty much dominate anyway.

That yeast will be fine. Just keep your fermentation temperature in the appropriate range and you should have a well attenuated and clean tasting IPA.

Thanks for the replies. Trying to grind through work then its time to brew! I'll leave an update when this goes into primary.

Brew day went well, my second batch was much smoother than the first time. I ended up adding hops in 1.5oz @ 60, 1oz @ 30, 1oz @ 7, and put the final .5oz in the the primary. The brew is happily bubbling away in the primary.

Thanks for the recipe and suggestions, I can't wait to dig into this one!

Just made up 5G's of a variation of this. Since I hadn't enough Amarillo, I made up the 15 and 5 minutes with Cascade and used Amarillo for the boil and flame out.

Smells fantastic. I mean like this smells like the beer that the guy in the Old Spice advert would drink. I'm thinking about splitting it and dry hopping some with some Bramling Cross I've got lying around just for the badness.

I made a batch of this about a week ago, and used the 005 with one lb. of 40 and Chinook at start of boil, followed with 1 oz. of amarillo every 15 minutes or so until flame-out which I then added 2 oz. of amarillo. I used to go from the primary to secondary and dry hop in the secondary for 2 weeks, but lost too much bitterness for my liking. This time, I think I'm going to go 10-14 in the primary, then keg with hops in the keg. Not sure whats going to happen with dry hopping in the keg. Never done it before. Any thoughts?

Brewed this up a while ago, just had it kegged and carbed. Pulled my first pint from it tonight...and my first impression is that it is very "fruity"!

I've never used Amarillo before, and this is my first go with the S-05 yeast, so not sure whether this fruitiness is from the hop or the yeast. I fermented at 64-66F..so I shouldn't be getting any fruity esters from the yeast, so I assume that the Amarillo is the reason for this fruitiness?

Is this the way this IPA is supposed to taste...or has something gone horrible awry?

That's typical. I actually ferment mine at around 70 with the s-05. I recently made this but used WLP-005. Too malty for me, but the hops helped out. Here is the recipe I used:

11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 oz Chinook [12.40 %] (60 min) Hops 38.6 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (45 min) Hops 26.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (30 min) Hops 22.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (15 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (5 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [9.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

fermented for 2.5 weeks, then kegged. 6.8% ABV.

This beer is soooo good. Is very very fruity but not much in the way of hop bitterness. Well I say that from the perspective of the only American style IPA I've had is brewdog's punk IPA's

i'm going to brew this on friday. the only thing i'm going to change is, i'm going to dry hop it with 1oz willamette and 1oz cascade. i'll update on it when it's done

All of the shops around me are out of fresh hops. Will the same taste come through using pellat hops? Anyone tried pellats with this recipe? I'm assuming you wiegh out the pellats as you do fresh? Thanks!

I did a batch of this last night. I got an OG of 1.048. That seems bad as the recipe says 1.067. I added water up to my 5 gal mark.

Is this bad?

Did you mix well before taking your OG?

Yes. I stirred after the boil. Then after cooling around 80 degrees and in the fermenter I shook to aerate. Hmm, but maybe some of the water I added didn't get mixed thouroghly. I'm doubting now. I'll stir tonight and retest. I also didn't see any bubbles this morning. Hoping activity picks up. Ill report back. Thanks!

Not unusual for OG readings to be lower than expect with extract -- commonly a problem when the top up water and wort are not mixed adequately.

Don't open up now and take a reading...just leave it be. Increasing the chance of getting an infection is not worth knowing what the OG is at this point in time. IMO.

In the garage brewing this up as I type. 1 pound 40L just pulled, 6 gallons water almost to a boil - 6 ounces of whole leaf Amarillo (store did not have pellets) ready to go in in stages including dry hopping - two stage DME addition - with maybe a bit extra (1/2 lb) just for kicks. :drunk: Or not.....

ETA: Propane tank almost empty :eek: but I think I will have enough for an hour........

ETA II: Holey F-Me With a Picth Fork! This shye smells so good! The HOPS!!!

just got it to the right temp and pitched WLP001 california ale yeast. SG: 1.068 seems right at where it should be. this is what i did...

5gal batch 3 gal boil
7lbs x light DME (added 3 lbs for 60mins. last 4 lbs at flameout)
2oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (60 mins)
2oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (15 mins)
1oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (5 mins)
1oz Amarillo 7.2% AA (Flame Out)
WLP001 california ale yeast

I used Northwest Ale yeast - Wyeast 1332.

Doing any dry-hopping?

no. no dry hop this time. when i plugged it in to beersmith it says 53 IBU. so if it doesnt have enough aroma i will dry hop next time. OG was 1.068 if it finishes at 1.017 it should be 6.6% ABV, so i think 53 IBUs would be fitting. we will see though. I DO have 2oz of fuggles laying around that I COULD dry hop it with if i decide to. but i think if i decide to dry hop i would just go pick up some more amarillo to keep with the theme. i plan on leaving it in primary AT LEAST 3 weeks, so i have plenty of time to decide

I entered this beer into the New England Regional Homebrew competition a couple of weeks back. My results came in the mail yesterday and even though I did not place, I got scores of 36 and 37, or 36.5 Overall. Pretty happy with the results for my first competition and my first try at an IPA.

Back