old yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gildog

Reaction score
ok heres a simple question for you experts. i recently cleaned out my fidge and found that i have two yeast samples taken from previous batches of beer and applewine respectively.

to take both of them , i swirled the yeast cake at the bottom, let it settle a little and then poured off about 8 oz of the liquid into jars, i then added a little corn sugar and set them on top of the fridge for a while, i released the pressure every day untill they stopped hissing and then stashed them in the fridge.

what is the process to use them in a batch? can i even still use them?

How old are they? Yeast will degrade over time. I would make another starter solution out of malt extract to check for vialbiity and see if they produce some healthier yeast in the process.

ok heres a simple question for you experts. i recently cleaned out my fidge and found that i have two yeast samples taken from previous batches of beer and applewine respectively.

to take both of them , i swirled the yeast cake at the bottom, let it settle a little and then poured off about 8 oz of the liquid into jars, i then added a little corn sugar and set them on top of the fridge for a while, i released the pressure every day untill they stopped hissing and then stashed them in the fridge.

what is the process to use them in a batch? can i even still use them?

although I would not have progressed as you did, if you got "hissing" your yeast appears to be viable.

Now, to what use depends on what yeast strain they are. Do you know? what did you brew with them to start with? I might suggest you build up a starter from them and pitch to a similar brew as you origially used them in. What do you think?

Back