Hops substitution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Damage

Reaction score
Hi! First post from a long time lurker.

Just got my 4th extract kit, a basic porter, from my LHS last night and found they've substituted the hops called for in the recipe. The recipe says to use 1oz Perle for bittering (60 min) and Tetnang for flavor/aroma with ½oz each for 20min and 2min.

The hops provided with the kit are Spalt Select and Northern Brewer (1oz ea). This chart suggests that I should use the NB for bittering and the Spalt for flavor/aroma. However, no two charts I've found seem to agree on what can be substituted for what, in fact they don't even agree on the alpha acid percentages of the different varieties.

So my first question is am I correct in using NB for bittering and Spalt for flavor?

My second question is should I adjust the schedule or ammounts?

Many thanks.

I like this chart as it lists more varieties than any other that I've seen. According to it, and my reading of it, you are correct, but perhaps one of the hops experts here will chime in on this.

Every hop harvest will have different AA%'s

I'd use the NB for bittering and the spalt for flavor. Spalt is a good sub for tett.

I wouldn't adjust a thing with the recipie, just go with it, I guarentee you'll make beer!

So my first question is am I correct in using NB for bittering and Spalt for flavor?

My second question is should I adjust the schedule or ammounts?

Many thanks.

1) Yes

2) No, you can assume that any adjustment was taken into consideration by the supplier. Those varieties are similar enough that the AA% should be very close.

Just a side note: AA% for a hop depends on the variety, the area, the year and the time since picking. That's why you see the variations.

Back