New Glarus Spotted Cow Clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't get the beer anywhere outside of Wisconsin, so it'll be difficult finding a recipe. I'd trust the HBS unless they have screwed up recipes before.

This is what I am using. Forgive me for lack of clarity, this is my 1st batch...

2lbs Light Malt Extract
3lbs Light malt Syrup

Fuggle hops all the way.

Wyeast 1028 (London)

It's missing the corn and flaked barley that they put in it but other than that nothing. You could just steep this in some 150 deg water for 30 min. You won't get much of the suger out of them but you should get some flavor out of it.

If you can keep the temp in the fermenter in the high range for the yeast. This way you can get the fruity flavors that this beer is known for.

By FYI the way this might not be the spot to ask this question, this is in the wine area.

Welcome to the brewing craze! Another cheesehead we be taking over.

Baron von BeeGee said:
As far as I know flaked barley and corn must be mashed :confused:

Steeping at 150 for 30 mins is essentially mashing, but without properly sparging the efficiency would be way down. But for his purposes it may be enough.

ablrbrau said:
Steeping at 150 for 30 mins is essentially mashing, but without properly sparging the efficiency would be way down. But for his purposes it may be enough.
Flaked barley and corn do not have diastatic power and hence will not convert on their own. An enzymatic component with extra diastatic power such as 2-row must be added to convert them, or it's not mashing, just steeping. You'll also get a pot of cloudy starch if you steep them.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Flaked barley and corn do not have diastatic power and hence will not convert on their own. An enzymatic component with extra diastatic power such as 2-row must be added to convert them, or it's not mashing, just steeping. You'll also get a pot of cloudy starch if you steep them.

Ok that's the second time in two days I've posted something here that was totally wrong and you guys have corrected me. That's why I'm glad you guys are here. I'm gonna hafta stop sucking homebrew while I'm on this computer. Or maybe have more..........:D

Well the whole thing about seeping those is just for the flavor not for the fermentables thats why I said steep not mash. The whole thing is just to get a little of the flavor from these. Yeah you could throw in some two or six row and get it done but just steeping them should add some of the flavor.

Back