New from Corvallis, Oregon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JE3146

Reaction score
Just got back from Brewer's Memorial Ale Fest this weekend at Newport, and while I was there, I talked to quite a few home brewers in our 'group.'

One of them convinced me that doing partial mash 5 gallon batches was entirely possible in an apartment, so... here I am. Ready to learn :D

I've read a few books. Just need to get some equipment, or just use my parent's equipment. (excuse to visit them :D )

Either way, I'm kinda excited.

Just got back from Brewer's Memorial Ale Fest this weekend at Newport, and while I was there, I talked to quite a few home brewers in our 'group.'

One of them convinced me that doing partial mash 5 gallon batches was entirely possible in an apartment, so... here I am. Ready to learn :D

I've read a few books. Just need to get some equipment, or just use my parent's equipment. (excuse to visit them :D )

Either way, I'm kinda excited.

Hmm, well what do we have here...

Welcome!:mug:

You can always buy your own fermenters & brew at your parent's place, then take it home to watch. If no one told you: www.hotv.org is your local club. What to help pick up litter Sat.?

Welcome, I too was at the Brewer's Memorial brew fest this weekend. I am a OSU alum so I know Corvallis very well, are you a student down there? Talk about some killer beers at the brew fest! I ran into an old bud that is trying to get into the brewing industry so I had some good beery conversation. You can totally do partial mash in your apartment maybe even full all-grain if you have the boiling capacity.

Welcome, I too was at the Brewer's Memorial brew fest this weekend. I am a OSU alum so I know Corvallis very well, are you a student down there? Talk about some killer beers at the brew fest! I ran into an old bud that is trying to get into the brewing industry so I had some good beery conversation. You can totally do partial mash in your apartment maybe even full all-grain if you have the boiling capacity.

Yea I'm a student down here.

My parent's were actually the ones who won the surfboard, so you'll prolly hate me :D

Welcome to the forum.

PM brewing is completely doable in an apartment. I brew all grain in my condo. As stated earlier, for AG it will depend on your stove's ability to perform a full wort boil. I have a 24'' condo size stove that will boil a full five gallons of wort.

This thread may be helpful in demonstrating the brewing process in a small space.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49747&highlight=condo+brewing

Cheers :mug:

You can always buy your own fermenters & brew at your parent's place, then take it home to watch. If no one told you: www.hotv.org is your local club. What to help pick up litter Sat.?

Thankyou for the invite.

Odds are if I join one, it'll be with my family and friends. They all belong to this one.

http://www.cascade-brewers.com/

(Though it's based in Eugene....)

Maybe the one you listed might not be so bad :)

But that's definitely an idea to just get the fermenters.

Didn't know they were giving away a surf board, probably due to me being pretty buzzed off of all of the double IPAs. :)

I live in an apartment with balcony, and I do full grain batches on a turkey fryer. It's completely doable, as is doing PM.
And welcome to the forum!

Welcome fellow OSU member! I and one other member on here live together and brew almost two times a month throughout the year, perhaps we should get together and have a brew day. I'm currently out of the country (hence my location tag), but we live on the NE side of town and usually get a group of 5-6 student brewers together and make a day out of the event.

Major?

Welcome fellow OSU member! I and one other member on here live together and brew almost two times a month throughout the year, perhaps we should get together and have a brew day. I'm currently out of the country (hence my location tag), but we live on the NE side of town and usually get a group of 5-6 student brewers together and make a day out of the event.

Major?

Computer Engineering :eek: (love the material... hate the major)

Brew days sound kinda fun. Not much left for time this year... but unfortunately I'll be back for 1 more year of this crap.. so... always next year.

I also have a year left. Two of my roommates were both in that major and said the same thing...but now they are forestry majors (all my fishing and camping trips made them see the light ;) )

But yeah, next year it shall be!

Ah, I am one of those roommates that Klainmeister is referring to. We live in the NW end of town, actually. We do try to brew every couple of weekends though, we could set up a brew day sometime after school gets out, we know a couple other students in town that are interested in brewing.

Sounds like you won't be in town for the summer though, which is too bad. Perhaps towards the beginning of fall then.

Witham Hill Brewer, my wife used to live on Witham Hill. Good times I'll have to come down and brew with you guys some day.

Ah, I am one of those roommates that Klainmeister is referring to. We live in the NW end of town, actually. We do try to brew every couple of weekends though, we could set up a brew day sometime after school gets out, we know a couple other students in town that are interested in brewing.

Sounds like you won't be in town for the summer though, which is too bad. Perhaps towards the beginning of fall then.

Fall sounds like a plan. :mug:

I live in S. Town.

Near Willamette Park

has anyone been to the Home brew shop in Corvallis. I looked online and am seriously considering one of their kits. They are 120 miles from me though so I am debating as to weather or not I want it shipped. With gas prices it would probably be cheaper.

Yeap, was just there yesterday. The owner is very knowledgable and helpful. He stopped my roomate and I from seriously destroying a fat tire clone recipe.

I don't know where you are, but there are also brew stores in Salem and Eugene.

If you are just buying a kit I would recommend buying it online and getting it shipped. However, if you are buying your ingredients individually it might be worth the trip to ask questions. Every time I have been to the HBS in Corvallis the owner has helped me select ingredients or make recommendations on different recipes.

Corvallis brewing is an awesome shop, Joel is very helpful and super friendly, just email him or call and I'm sure he could set you up. If your not up for that I have had good luck with morebeer.com for shipped stuff but I just talked to Joel down at the shop a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd be more than willing to ship me stuff, it's cheaper for me to ship now then drive to Corvallis, luckily my wife still works down there. Gas prices suck!!

EDIT: By the way I don't think Joel keeps up on his website so your better off calling of emailing, if you get a chance to make it to the shop check out his large beer selection I always walk away with some good brews.

Originally posted by JE3146
My parent's were actually the ones who won the surfboard, so you'll prolly hate me

I just realized that I know your parents. In fact, I was hanging out with them and other friends from Cascade Brewer's Society at Sasquatch Brewfest this weekend. Small world. :mug:

I just realized that I know your parents. In fact, I was hanging out with them and other friends from Cascade Brewer's Society at Sasquatch Brewfest this weekend. Small world. :mug:

That would have been them. Jay & Toni.

I'm Jordan. Not sure we've met but I just checked your profile. I've seen you before, and I remember seeing the Naked City brewery label last year at the summer CBS 'event.'

Small world indeed :D

Back