Let's talk about Foam Control drops (aka Fermcap)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of Foam Control/Fermcap Drops?

• I've tried it -- love the stuff!

• I've tried it -- meh.

• I haven't tried it, but mean to.

• I haven't even heard of this before.

• Don't put that in my beer -- Reinheitsgebot baby!

Results are only viewable after voting.
You loose that wonderful fear of the unknown that your boil could explode everywhere if you stop staring at it for even a second.

Seriously, there is no down side.

I agree wholeheartedly, there are NO downsides to this...

I have a five gallon kettle that is really about 4.5 gallons that I do stove top brewing and I have a turkey fryer pot for all-grain. And I can fill both those bad boys to about 3/4 of an inch from the top and get a rolling boil going....and walk away.

I have actually taken a half hour nap between hop additions, on a stovetop brew, with no worries, whatsoever.

:mug:

What, if any, downsides are there to using fermcap?

The downside is the first few times you use them you still waste time standing over your kettle convinced it's going to boilover at any minute. When it doesn't happen you feel like an idiot for standing over your kettle that whole time

Just an amazing product. I wish I had started using them sooner

I know is an old thread but...I haven't even heard of this product before. I don't have boil overs and actually like blow-offs so at this point I'm not sure if I will try it.

I don't condsider blow-offs a pain at all. It's just a 1" hose and a qt. cup to clean. The cup is easy enough to clean. For the hose I have a semi-soft bristled bottle brush and I tied a string to the loop at the handle end. Just run water through the hose and feed the string in and the water will carry the string to the other end of the hose...pull the brush through. Takes a couple of minutes and you're done. Squeaky clean and clear.

Foam control drops should not be confused with Beano. Totally different products that work by totally different mechanisms.

And as far as blow-offs go, they should always be avoided when possible because large blow-offs tend to eject the compounds that aid in head retention, which you really want to keep in your beer.

Foam control drops should not be confused with Beano. Totally different products that work by totally different mechanisms.

And as far as blow-offs go, they should always be avoided when possible because large blow-offs tend to eject the compounds that aid in head retention, which you really want to keep in your beer.

There was some discussion about beeno, gass x, and fermcap in the letters from listener section of one of the last 2 Basic Brewing Podcasts...prettty weird discussion....

Yeah...in my 10 year sabbatical from homebrewing a few myths of mine have been debunked.:eek: Here I thought I was 'naturally' getting trub out of the fermenter and always TRIED to get a good blowoff. I guess it explains the almost obligatory use of either Wheat or Carapils in all my old recipes.:D Old habits die hard as they say.

... On the down side, the MSDS states that at temps above 150F, the compund can release formaldehyde vapors. ...

Actually the MSDS says 150C so I'm not worried about putting it into boiling wort at all.

I have the stuff from William's Brewing, but it does not come with an eye dropper, If i ever need to buy more I'll get it from someplace (like AHS) that has a dropper.

this sounds like great stuff.. will definitely try it with my next batch

You won't be disappointed! The problem that I have when doing full boils is that I think I am adding too much of the stuff. I just can fathom how a few drops will keep 6.5 gallons of wort from exploding all over my turkey fryer so I end up adding, what I think, is too much (approx 25 drops).

Well, you guys did it. You have me sold on the idea of Fermcap-S. Now the problem is that I can't find the stuff to order? My LHBS do not carry it or know about it. Both Northern Brewer and Midwest list it as "Unavailable". I looked at AHS and Brewmasters Warehouse but they do not sell it.

Why is no one selling it anymore? Does anyone know of a online store that currently sells it?

Maybe I'll just have to grab some Mylicon to hold me over.

I was at a pretty good size brewery (20bbl) recently and I saw a big ol jar of this stuff (half full) sitting on a shelf there. And they make really, really, good beers. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

I haven't read this whole thread but I wanted to give my 2 cents. I use fermcap-s after filling a 6.5 carboy with wort. I fill to 6.25 gallons and then aerate by shaking. By the time I've shaken it enough, the foam is to the lip. I add a few drops to kill the foam and then pitch my decanted starter which brings it to 6.375 gallons or so. With out the fermcap-s, I'd have to wait for the foam to die down before pitching. I like to ferment as much volume as possible because I make mostly IPA's which get massively dry hopped so there's a lot of soaked up beer from the hops. This way, I'm still able to fill a sanke sixtel at the end.

So I either got a bad fermcap or I am really stupid because I don't think it worked well for me or I was expecting a different result.

I fermented a 1.066 beer and dropped 4 drops of fermcap in when I put the yeast in. I started fermentation at 60* with US-05 as I was trying to mimic Rogues 60* fermentation. Well I had to raise it to 62* to see any signs of fermentation.

At any rate the krausen still rose quite a bit and I added more drops a total of 4 more times but there was still plenty of krausen. It never came out the blow-off tube so maybe it would off without fermcap.

I just started using Fermcap, mostly because of this thread. It really is all its cracked up to be. I fermented my Hefe in a 5 gallon carboy with very little head space. Instead of a nasty explosion, I only got a gunked up airlock. Boiling starters has never been easier. Thank you Fermcap-S!

I have used it and like it. It works well and has a reliable result.
But like anything in the brew cabinet, just because I have it on hand - doesn't mean I use it.

"So if I'm reading that correctly you're leaving about a pint of head space? Brave man"

The 6.5 gallon carboys actually hold almost 7 gallons to the mouth. Still get lots of blow-off through the 1" ID blow-off tube though.

Several of you have mentioned using foam control during fermentation. Is it used at the same rate as during the boil?

Yes, but I've noticed that the foam control I use in the boil carries over into the ferment, at least in part. I usually use 4 drops in a 6-gallon boil and add up to 4 more in the fermenter if I think I'll need it.

Several of you have mentioned using foam control during fermentation. Is it used at the same rate as during the boil?

For in ther fermenter the rate is 2 drops for gallon, but in the boil it doesn't really say how much to use, lately I have been doing 4 drops/gallon in the kettle, and like brother 944play says, it tends to carry over...since I have been using it for over a year I have never had a blowoff in the fermenter...I never thought of it till now, but that is probably why.

I have found that it also works in rug doctors!!
I needed to rent a rug doctor for a large dog accident, and noticed that the soap for these machines is extremely expensive. I bought a gallon of cheap stuff for like 5 bones but it foamed like crazy. It did not work. I figured give Fermcap a try. Worked like a charm.

Who hooo!!!

I have found that it also works in rug doctors!!
I needed to rent a rug doctor for a large dog accident, and noticed that the soap for these machines is extremely expensive. I bought a gallon of cheap stuff for like 5 bones but it foamed like crazy. It did not work. I figured give Fermcap a try. Worked like a charm.

Who hooo!!!

OH cool!!!!!

SOme of you may know that many of us buy bulk "iodophor" from the tractor supply store...it is "teat antiseptinc." BTF actually has an anti-foaming agent in it....this stuff doesn't, and if you add water to iodine as opposed to iodine to water, this stuff will foam up almost as much as starsan, but not as cool....and it takes a long time to dissipate...so sometimes I have used fermcap in that as well to reduce the foam.

With 158 people and counting who haven't tried it but would like to, I will set up something to give free samples when I get back from vacation.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Forrest, do YOU have anything on the recommended amount to add to the boil? Most of the websites just give the amount for fermenter...

like this on Northern brewer's site,

Fermcap-S. An anti-foam agent that can be used during fermentation to eliminate messy blowoff. As soon as fermentation is over, this insoluble compound settles out and remains behind when the beer is racked. It will not affect the finished beers flavor, appearance or head retention. Can also be added during the boil to reduce the risk of boilovers. Use a few drops per gallon for boil, or two drops per gallon for fermentation. Comes in a four ounce eyedropper bottle. Keep refrigerated until use.

They're specific for fermenter but not for boil...

What I do with the boil is wait until it starts to foam up, building to a boil over. Then I start adding drops until it stops building. A couple more drops and the foam will start to fall.

Next time I do a hop addition, it will start to build again, but more slowly. I'll add a drop at a time until it falls again.

After that, I don't have to add any more and it never boils over.

Seems to work for me more than just "add x amount per gallon". I add what it needs and that's it. Usually only ends up being between 5 and 10 drops total.

Forrest, do YOU have anything on the recommended amount to add to the boil? Most of the websites just give the amount for fermenter...

like this on Northern brewer's site,

They're specific for fermenter but not for boil...

This is on the label of my bottle of 105 from AHS:

"May be used in boil kettle or fermenter to reduce excess foaming. Do not exceed 200 ppm (2 drops per gallon or 1 oz per 7 BBl system) to stay within FDA requirements. Use within six months. Shake before use. Do not freeze."

But another place on the label says "Can be harmful if swallowed" !!! I hope they are talking about drinking it straight, in that warning. I've used it on several batches and so far, I don't seem to be harmed. :D

I use the 5 Star Defoam from Austin Homebrew. The stuff works like magic when making starters. I get the starters going and I put a couple drops in a shot glass. I then take the tip of a 12" skewer and dip it in the drop of defoamer to coat it and then rinse it off in the starter. It's an effective way to put only the tiny amount needed for a 1/2 liter starter since the ratio is 2 drops per gallon and I need only 1/4 drop for my starters.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83VCUrJ9Aw]YouTube - Yeast Starters[/ame]

Ok, so I'm new to this concept of fermcap. How do I get my hands on this stuff? Is there a link/store someone can point me to?

Latest posts

Back