Do I have to add yeast when bottling a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
Fermented 3 weeks, planning to lager 3-4 weeks at 33 degrees. I am wondering if it is possible to lager 2 weeks and then bottle condition an extra week or so. If I do this, will I have to add yeast to the bottling bucket? If so, how much should I add?

You probably don't have to- I've had lagers carb up fine after being lagered for 8 weeks. It won't hurt anything if you do add a bit of yeast, though. I would use about 1/3 package of dry yeast, and just combine it with the (cooled) priming solution in your bottling bucket before racking the beer into it. Stir the yeast in well, and then rack the beer into it.

I'm not sure about what you're asking about lagering in the bottle, though. If you're bottling, you would want to let the beer sit at room temperature in the bottle to carb up, and then you can chill the bottles if you want.

Back