DC Area Group Buy #15

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: You may want to read all of this post again as some things have changed.

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every ~8-12 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...this is the only way it is given out as our supplier has asked we keep it limited to group participants.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay three weeks before the buy end, by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain! Yes I know some of you well, but there are over a 100 people that participate and I am notoriously bad with names, so help me out by using your HBT handle in all communications.
* You can pay in advance. I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily. If you travel a lot like I do, it may make sense for you to pay in advance as well. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (not most base malts) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage? Please just post as usual in the forum. Payment is due, paid to Stonebrewer via PayPal, WHEN THE BUY closes. So pay attention as I hate chasing folks down.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC

* NOTE Recent Change: The pickup will occur the Sat. three weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

Subscribed. I doubt ill need a sack of anything after GB #14 but i might join a split just to come down on pick up day and taste a few brews.

Wow, not only did this thread have the rarity of an order on page one, it had a page cancellation too.

So has anybody been to seven locks brewery yet?

i have been to Seven Locks, I like what they have going on there.

I'm new to this group buy thing. I do have the price sheet, but not sure when I need to pay by and when pick-up would be. Trying to figure out if/what I should pick up. Any direction would be great, and sorry for being that noob.

i have been to Seven Locks, I like what they have going on there.

I'm new to this group buy thing. I do have the price sheet, but not sure when I need to pay by and when pick-up would be. Trying to figure out if/what I should pick up. Any direction would be great, and sorry for being that noob.

We just picked up on the previous buy in early January. We seem to be averaging 3-4 months between pickups. You'll pay 2-3 weeks before pickup.

The pattern is chit chat and just the occasional order and this goes on for two months or so. Then suddenly a lot of orders come for no obvious reason, then a date is set, and then after the date is set a whole lot more orders come in simply because the date is set.

Just keep checking back.

Prices on malt rarely change. We have had the same price list for over a year I think...

Buys can take 2 months or 3 or 4. Just depends on a lot of factors including time of year, new members, people's brewing habits, etc. I know I stocked up for the last year so the last few buys I have only picked up a few pounds on splits. Hoping to get my supply line back up to speed, so I will need to start buying again once that happens.

Seven Locks - agree with both posters, good beer, nothing blew me away, nothing was a drain pour. It's local so I will support, especially if they start getting adventurous. I think I saw they had barreled some brews recently, so they may have some better stuff coming?

I've recently pulled the trigger on a GRAINFATHER! Pictures to come. But since I have simplified the process I will be brewing a lot more.
Pictures, comments and beers to come after I do a few batches.

I'll take:
1x CRI1001 crisp finest Maris otter 55lb
And
1x 1928c Briess 2 row Brewers malt 50lb
(It is in red on the sheet so if it's not available ill take a sack of rah1002 rahr standard 2-row)

Thanks

ALSO:
I am selling some of my equipment. Here are A few pictures and a price list. Let me know if any of you or anyone you know has any interest.
Thanks,
Sam

10 gallon upright cooler mash tun with stainless steel false bottom $60
8 gallon ported brew kettle $40
3/8" copper wort chiller $30
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454544169.013367.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454544180.335069.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454544189.778285.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454544199.043922.jpg

Yea I regularly take trips back to PGH they usually have a good 5 or 6 flatheads brews on tap and a bottle shop upstairs. Ill grab some next time I'm there and save them for the swap.... Whenever that happens.

I would like to place the following order:
# SKU Name
1 RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
1 1928C Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 50 lb
1 WEY1010 Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner 25 kg (55lb)

Hey, I'd like to order:

1 - CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

Hey every one, Happy Valentines day! Lets order some grain!

3 x Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
1 x Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

Split start
10 # Weyermann Pale Rye 25 kg (55 lb)

please put me down for:
1X Rahr 2-row

and starting a few splits:

25# Avangard Vienna
25# Avangard Light Munich
10# Avangard Caramel-8

Things are starting to pick up! I have updated the sheets for all orders and splits up until this point. Please check my work as I have ten gallons of IIPA on tap and may be sampling...:D

please put me down for:
1X Rahr 2-row

and starting a few splits:

25# Avangard Vienna
25# Avangard Light Munich
10# Avangard Caramel-8

I'll take:
10# of Avangard Vienna
10# of Avangard Light Munich

Also:
1- 1852C Avangard Malz Premium Pale Ale 55 Lb
1- RAH1005 Rahr Premium Pilsner 50 lb

Sheets updated! Ordering my first sack of Avangard Malz to give it a go. Surprised they are owned by a bank, have been around for less than 10 years, and are the largest maltster in Germany!! Was gonna go for some Chateau Pale but at this price, I gotta try it in my Westy 12 clone!!

Just joined HBT and first post. Thank you stonebrewer, for putting this together and being so responsive and organized.

Put me down for the split:
Dingemans Cara 20 sku 1968C @5lbs
Avangard Malz Premium Light Munich sku 1856C @10lbs

I'll also try starting a split on:
Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L sku BRI1036 @15lbs
Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen sku 1850C @15lbs

I'll take a whole bag of:
Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb sku RAH1002

Ok, time for me to stock up on a few things:

(1) RAH1001 Rahr Standard 6-Row 50 lb
(1) WEY1071 Weyermann Beech Smoked 25 kg (55 lb)
(1) 3200C Flaked Corn 50 lb

Please and thank you!

I think I got all the updates in.

bmcgarry - welcome to the group! We usually do not split base grains (2-row, pale, pils). If others are interested in splitting the pils with you, I will definitely allow it but I think it will be difficult to find takers on that. If you really need just 15 lbs and no one else wants to split pils, I can probably open a sack of mine and let you have whatever you need for your brew day...

Speaking of which, I need to get a lager in soon!

Cheers!

Back