Why are false bottoms domed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Getting ready to make a stainless false bottom, curious to why it is domed?

All I can think of is it adds strength, no support required underneath.

NorCal/Jaybird false bottoms are flat (like-a you head). :D

They make them to fit all kinds of things. Such as kegs, coolers and kettles. The ones not going in kegs are usually made with feet to keep some space under them. Which a dome could also do. I would trust a NorCal false bottom over one of those domed ones every day of the week and thrice on brew day. :D

Science. It's explained in the appendix section of Palmers book. I think it's from a thesis he used in graduate school. In laymans terms, the way I understand it is that a domed shape sets the most even grainbed and increases extraction.

That said, I use a flat one from Jaybird and it works great. Got 83% mash efficiency with it today :)

It also helps to prevent a vacuum as there may be an airspace above the liquid at times. IMHO. Flat ones work too..

Well I can make a flat one fairly easy or a cone shaped one which is only 1/2" tall with a little more effort. What u think I should make? Will I benefit from one shaped like Raidens hat?

Well I can make a flat one fairly easy or a cone shaped one which is only 1/2" tall with a little more effort. What u think I should make? Will I benefit from one shaped like Raidens hat?

Depends on what you are using as your MLT. Anything with a flat bottom will need legs/dome/cone to alow some space under the FB for the wort to flow. With a keg with a concaved bottom a flat should be no problem.

I read doomed...and mine might be. Whilst brewing last night my homemade colander false bottom started elevating in the wort from the force of the boil - had to fish it out w/ some tongs. Served the purpose while mashing, though (I BIAB).
Sorry fer the thread highjack.

Back