Airlock Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandorClegane

Reaction score
I know, from what I've read here, that the airlock is NOT a tool to gauge fermentation. I also know that the lack of bubbles in the airlock is NOT an indication that fermentation is not occurring.

So, my question would be related to the converse. Is quick and frequent airlock bubble action (more than once per second) an indication that fermentation IS occurring? If I forgot the check the temp prior to pitching and I accidentally pitched the yeast into the honey/water Must (brewing Mead) that was about 120 degrees F, should I go ahead and pitch another packet of yeast to be safe, or should I leave it as is since it is bubbling in the airlock frequently?

I do not have a hydrometer, therefore I did not get a measurement prior to pitching the yeast.

I know, from what I've read here, that the airlock is NOT a tool to gauge fermentation. I also know that the lack of bubbles in the airlock is NOT an indication that fermentation is not occurring.

So, my question would be related to the converse. Is quick and frequent airlock bubble action (more than once per second) an indication that fermentation IS occurring? If I forgot the check the temp prior to pitching and I accidentally pitched the yeast into the honey/water Must (brewing Mead) that was about 120 degrees F, should I go ahead and pitch another packet of yeast to be safe, or should I leave it as is since it is bubbling in the airlock frequently?

I do not have a hydrometer, therefore I did not get a measurement prior to pitching the yeast.

If you have quick and frequent bubbles from the airlock than generally yes fermentation is happening (or your fermentor airspace is heating up very quickly, causing the air to expand-not likely especially since you pitched at 120 and it should have actually been dropping in temp).

If you are getting a lot of action, your yeast should still be viable and pitching another packet of yeast is probably not necessary. But you might have some crazy off-flavors with fermenting at temperatures that high. Whats the temperature now?

You probably want to get a hydrometer at some point if you are planning on making more batches of mead/beer/wine. It can be dangerous if you try to bottle a beverage that has not fully attenuated since the yeast could start back up in the bottle and cause bombs.

Thanks for the response.
I haven't checked the temp right now. But I'm guessing it's probably around 80 degrees. The room is around 72f. And it gets up to 75f at the hottest point of the day. So I'm guessing the active fermentation is generating some heat, which is why I guessed 80f. But that's totally a guess and I could be way off.

Back