Beerswap 2007: olllllo's Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All of my beers are extract and none of these recipies are my own.
I'm looking for feedback on the execution.

The IPA is not hoppy at all. At home I have it on the Randall and that helps it alot.
I have been jokingly refering to it as a CHPA or Cape Horn Pale Ale. Never made it to India.

Belgian Pale
16-B Belgian Pale Ale
03.jpg

Size: 5.92 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 173.35 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.048 - 1.054)
|==================#=============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.014)
|====================#===========|
Color: 3.6 (8.0 - 14.0)
|================================|
Alcohol: 5.12% (4.8% - 5.5%)
|===============#================|
Bitterness: 33.78 (20.0 - 30.0)
|==============================#=|
Ingredients:
6.0 lbs Dry Light Extract
1 lbs Belgian Candi Sugar
1 oz Hallertau Hersbruck (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Hallertau Hersbruck (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 40 min
1 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1 ea WYeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Bandersntach Sundevil IPA
14-B American IPA

14.jpg

Size: 5.0 gal
Calories: 222.83 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.067 (1.056 - 1.075)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.010 - 1.018)
|=====================#==========|
Color: 14.1 (6.0 - 15.0)
|======================#=========|
Alcohol: 6.58% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 56.84 (40.0 - 60.0)
|=====================#==========|

Ingredients:
1.0 lbs Carapils®/Carafoam®
0.75 lbs Crystal 45
0.5 lbs Munich Malt
0.5 lbs Vienna Malt
0.5 lbs Victory® Malt
7.5 lbs Pale Liquid
1 oz Target (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 ea WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale

Bandersnatch Milk Stout
13-E American Stout

33.jpg

Size: 4.92 gal
Calories: 215.28 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.064 (1.050 - 1.075)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.022)
|================#===============|
Color: 33.2 (30.0 - 40.0)
|=============#==================|
Alcohol: 6.36% (5.0% - 7.0%)
|==================#=============|
Bitterness: 18.08 (35.0 - 75.0)
|=#==============================|

Ingredients:
7.5 lbs Dark Liquid
.5 lbs Chocolate malt
.5 lbs Roasted Barley
.5 lbs Crystal 75
.25 lbs Black Malt
.25 lbs Munich Malt
.25 lbs Victory® Malt
.5 lbs Barley Flaked
1 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 lbs Lactose
1 ea WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale
2 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min

olllllllo was generous and sent 22 ounces, so my testing "partner" could get his fair share!

Aroma: mild with slight floral/fruity aroma and a subtle malt aroma.

Appearance: Clear, light golden color. Not much carbonation or head but a beautiful looking beer.

Flavor: Very nice light fruity taste with no strong bitterness. Well balanced with hops and malt, with a delicate hops taste and excellent malt overtones. Very easy to drink, with a big "Ummmm" after the first sip by both testers! A very small hint of tartness in the aftertaste- must be the yeast? that leaves a great overall taste in the mouth.

Mouthfeel- light, pleasant, low carbonated beer with a light to medium bodied mouthfeel.

Overall impression- We're impressed by the execution of this beer! Very drinkable and enjoyable. I would drink plenty of these, if they were available! I'm assuming this was kegged and bottled with a beer gun, as there was no yeast sediment and very little carbonation and head. The only thing that could make this beer any better would be better carbonation, otherwise, it's an excellent Belgian.

Good job, Rob. This was definitely a hit!

Thanks Yoop.

It's a LHBS recipe. Very easy, no frills. People enjoy it.
I think that even after going AG, I will contine to make this as an extract just because it is pretty fool-proof.

Yes. I am still working the technique for the beergun. I'm going to get some more practice in by bottling soda. Hopefully, I'll have it down by then.

The "Cape Horn" almost- IPA

Aroma: No real hops aroma, but still pleasant aroma.

Appearance: It was darker than expected, slightly cloudy (although not a problem) with a small cream colored head that quickly dissapated. Nice lacing on glass.

Mouthfeel- nice, medium bodied mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation.

Flavor: Slightly bitter with an undefinable aftertaste. I bet it's good on the randall, though, to add some hops aroma/taste. This beer is ok- nothing really wrong, just not exactly what I was expecting. I would order this at a bar, have one, and then order your Belgian!

Thanks for allowing me to sample your beers, Rob. I really enjoyed receiving them, and trying them. I should have had this one first, because I thought the Belgian was tops and maybe subconciously expected this one to be even better since I love IPAs. Still, a decent beer and easy to drink and I don't want to be negative- it's been a pleasure to drink.

Yea the IPA is flawed, but it's still a drinkable PA. I wish I knew what went wrong. I was cranking out beers left and right during this period and I scaled up from partial to full volume boils.

I'm going to go back to this recipe in the future, but probably AG.

Pirate Ale's beer shipment was DOA, so I bottled tonight.

Sanitized 2 bombers... here we go, I'll make it quick and be done before the Daily Show starts.

First, the CHPA (not an IPA). Filled a 22oz just barely and pfffft. F|_|[k.
Clear the beergun line in to a pint glass, drink, etc... etc...
Next the Belgian. Filled a 22oz about a 1/4 of the way pfffttttt. F|_|[k.
8 oz for me I guess. $#$&^&*$. I drank it from the bottle. I'll go and resanitize another. F|_|[k. Clear the beergun line, etc... etc...

OK cool I looked through my stash and found a couple of 12oz already sanitized and covered with foil. I'll hook up my Milk stout. Oh man.... It's really flat. F|_|[k. that's because it's on nitro.... last time I bottled, I made sure to purge and add CO2 for a week so that it was fully carbed. Aw man that sucks. Hey beergun stop dispensing stop stop stop motherFKER... ****, the little rubber stopper fell off in the bottle. Beer spills for 10 or 15 seconds until I figure out to pull off the connector to stop the flow. Hey, Brenda, I need a hand. I ask her for a really big plastic cup to pour this bottled beer into to retrieve the FCKING stopper. I pour it and ask if she'll retrieve it. I watch helplessly as she pours good beer down the drain. STOP STOP that's drinkable beer (I was gonna drink that) and there's a stopper in there I need. Woops, she says. I have the stopper though. Ok ok ok, we're good. She runs the faucet to rinse off the stopper. It slips out of her hand down the drain into the disposal. AIIIIGH!

{stuff happens here for which I apologize}

{stopper gets found and sanitized}

{minutes elapse as I regain composure}

1 12oz Milk Stout (flat) gets bottled.

Guilt settles in. I can't send him a flat beer and my admittedly flawed CHPA/IPA beer.

I'll hook up my Bass clone.
Sanitize another bomber.
Clear the beergun line in to a pint glass, drink, etc... etc...
Stopper falls off again. This time, I just let it go top off with CO2, put the beergun in the big plastic cup and cap the MoFo. By the time I got it capped it's a big frickin overflowing plastic cup of beer.

I still have to clean up but after this 32oz beer.:(

Pirate Ale gets 56oz of beer though. :rockin:

I'm sorry Rob- but instead of sympathizing with you, I'm ROTFLMAO. That's seriously funny, especially your "helper" pouring out your beer.

I'm sure Pirate Ale will appreciate your effort, though!

Wow, now that is funny, I don't care who you are.......

And sad...since I knowthose kind of days, and those kind of helpers.

Rob, you rock for goin to all that trouble. I would have probably thrown in the towel, and sent you some high quality locals as a peace offering, and sold my beergun on e-bay for penance....

:D 56 oz whoot!

Pirate Ale said:
I would have probably thrown in the towel, and sent you some high quality locals as a peace offering, and sold my beergun on e-bay for penance....

Who knows I still may have to...:D

Tuesday is your delivery date.

They got here today, I will let them chill and settle till this weekend......and then BOOM! Thanks for going to all the trouble:rockin:

I drank the Belgian last night.

Appearance: Golden straw. Very nice and clear. Small head that faded quickly. (My glassware sucks)

Aroma: Apples. I told my wife, "This smells like apple juice." Usually her response to beer aromas is that "It smells like beer to me", but this time she agreed on the apples.

Flavor: Flavor was also a little of apples. A little malty and sweet, with not much hop flavor. I could tell it was definately a belgian, but in a good way. The yeast flavors were not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a little prick from the carbonation. Smooth and very drinkable.

Overall: A very nice belgian. Very drinkable and balanced a little toward the sweet side. Color was beautiful and it poured very clear. Just a personal preferance, but I would bump up the bittering hops just a tad, maybe 5 IBU's to balance the sweetness a little more, but if you like it this way, keep it, it's still great. One thing I did notice was that when I drank it, I noticed a little of the infamous "extract twang". I could taste it last night, but didn't know for sure untill I logged on right now and saw the recipe. I don't know what you can do about that. I noticed it in my beers when I was still doing extract. But overall you still have a fantastic beer that tastes great and is wonderful to drink.

Got to try the brew OllllO went to so much trouble to send.

IPA

Carbonation:
Nice Pffft at opening, nice carbonation and good head that reduced to a nice lace that stayed with the beer till I finished it.

Aroma:
Good nose, complex malt aroma at first with a back aroma of citrisy hops.

Apperance:
Good color, nice golden copper look, with a slight haze.

Taste:
Good bittering, but a little weak for an IPA. It has a good balance though, and the flavor is clean, crisp and very, very drinkable.

Overall:
I LIKE IT! I could drink several of these and enjoy each one. Aptly named Cape Horn Pale Ale....It is a great pale ale, and a good IPA. Well made and tasty! Send more.
:mug:

*disclaimer: The old Pirate isn't a fan of Stouts......

BUT me taste be a changing....arghh!

Carb: NONE...LOL
even with a slam dunk pour, but I knew that going in. Bet it is great on Nitrogen.

Aroma:
Nice Chocolatey, Malty aroma with no noticeable hops.

Apperance:
beautiful rich ruby dark chocolate color, which looks clear. no haze in this one.

Taste:
Suprisingly good with out any carbonation, Great flavor, not bitter, very enjoyable.

Overall:
Rob, this is a great beer, well made and very drinkable. You may be turning me to the dark side...:D

The Bass Clone...

Carb:
nice carbonation, fits the beer style, limited head retention, but some residual lacing on the glass.

Aroma:
Mild maltiness, and slight floral hoppiness. Very mild aroma

Apprearance:
Clear amber gold color, no chill haze....great looking beer.

Taste:
good mellow bass clone. It is a really dead on copy of Bass.

Overall:
I think you cracked open a couple of Bass bottles, poured them in a 22 oz. and capped it for me. It is that close to Bass. Thanks for sending this one too. I loved it.

Back