Loving the Sweetwater IPA.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
I purchased my first 6er of commerical stuff in a month on sunday. I'm loving this Sweetwater IPA. Anyone else gave it a try?:rockin:

Haven't tried it but my parents were in Atlanta this past weekend and I had them buy me a 6 pack of it. I'll be tasting it in May when I go back to Illinois to visit. Is that the 420 IPA? or is the 420 just a regular pale ale?

It is an awesome beer. I first had it when touring their brewery in Atlanta. I'm thinking of brewing up a clone.

Sweet Water IPA is it's own brew then there is the Sweet water 420.

They have others........ I have brewed a SW 420 & SW Blue and might do a SW IPA.

We can't get it here, but when I was vacationing in the Florida panhandle this winter, I saw it in Tallahassee, and bought some. I loved it so much I bought more and the pale ale, too. I definitely liked the IPA more than the pale ale.

We can't get it here, but when I was vacationing in the Florida panhandle this winter, I saw it in Tallahassee, and bought some. I loved it so much I bought more and the pale ale, too. I definitely liked the IPA more than the pale ale.

I love them both well so far all the sweetwater brews. However that 420 pale ale is my fav......

I did a clone and man it's spot on......:ban::rockin:

I love the Sweetwater IPA. One of the few six packs I'd buy in AL. My second fav brew of theirs next to SW Happy Ending.

I have heard from several people that know Sweetwater very well that the IPA is 100% Simcoe... that should get you started I guess.

I love the Sweetwater IPA! My favorite commercial beer. Does anyone know of a partial-mash (or extract) recipe for this delicious beverage?

Sweetwater Brewery puts out a lot of good beers. The IPA is certainly my favorite. It's the IPA that got my into drinking the style regularly. I'd love a clone recipe if anyone has one. I've tried but Simcoe is pricey so I've only given it two attempts. Both were way too bitter and not nearly as aromatic as it should've been.

On a side note, I used to use Sweetwater IPA yeast a LOT since they bottle condition. Here in Commerce, I usually get pretty fresh samples. One time, my Wyeast starter was taking forever to get going. I poured a bottle of fresh Sweetwater IPA into my fermenter to see if I could get fermentation going that way since I was waiting for a starter anyway. It worked, and even produced a nice batch of beer in the process. I used the Wyeast starter on something else.

Whenever I have a connection or lay over in Atlanta I hit a bar and grab a few bottles of 420 while I wait. Was one my first craft beers. I was 19 and missed a connection due to weather and they put me up overnight in a hotel connected to a diner. The diner had sweetwater on tap.

This is my go to "cheap" beer when I buy. I love it! I call it the poor man's ruination.
As it's about $7 a six pack here and Ruination is $17 a six pack :(

Sorry guys I had three homebrews and it's time for bed I got to get up at 3:30am so I'll try to put this recipe online tomorrow.

If anyone has an AG for this, I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll try to convert the extract/PM recipe once it's posted.

Absolute weirdness. I was just talking to a co-worker today about this beer and found this thread and this recipe. The recipe doesn't seem right though...it lists Simcoe at 4.75% AA, while I always thought it was usually over 10%AA. :confused:

edit: this one seems more realistic.

Back