Direct heat mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
Seems like the simplest way to get consistent temperature control over the mash would be a direct fired tun with recirculation as I already own a keggle mash tun and a pump. However I don't want to assume this. Any thoughts on this?

Also since the mash is already heated it seems like a small burner could maintain the temp. Thoughts?

Yep you have all you need. Small flame will do it, in fact a very very low flame is usually all I need.

I find that consistent temperature is easy, but can be a bit of a moving target. I recirculate during the entire mash with a very small flame. Sometimes I do this with the lid off, and sometime with the lid on. It really depends on how big the grain bill is for thermal mass, what the outside temperature is, and how windy it is. Anyway, it's not hard to find the right combination of flame strength and lid combo to hold a constant temp...rarely moving more than a degree.

Seems like the simplest way to get consistent temperature control over the mash would be a direct fired tun with recirculation as I already own a keggle mash tun and a pump. However I don't want to assume this. Any thoughts on this?

Also since the mash is already heated it seems like a small burner could maintain the temp. Thoughts?

Bobby M is very successful brewing this way. There are a lot of ways to successfully brew beer and this is definetely one of them.

I haven't figured out yet, but this is going to be one of my next moves. Lots of posts on doing this with great results.

10,000 BTU would be fine. I use an old turkey fryer burner with it turned down really low, it can't be more than 12,000 BTU opened up all the way. Also I use a false bottom.

Latest posts

Back