Dealing with self-pressed cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talenos

Reaction score
So I went to a farm the other day and pressed a gallon of cider from some apples. I've made beer and mead so I figured I might as well ferment this guy out and see what it's like.

I've read the yeast guide, and since I only have 1 gallon, I'm thinking I won't mind if it's a little stronger and drier so I don't go through it so fast.

My main questions are. How strong would this be if I just used an ale yeast like S-04 or notty without adding any sugars. Or will I need to add sugar and wine yeast?

Also, since this is self-pressed, I assume there are all kinds of bugs in there already. Should I put in a camden tablet for a day before pitching to get rid of that stuff first?

Thanks again for being patient with everyone's "first batch" threads.

most of the time my juices are 1.046 OG just by them self...which if you just let it ferment all the way out to a terminal of like .998 would give you about 6.4% ABV. But personally I like to stop it in the 1.020 to 1.015 range, because once you get down to .998 it doesnt taste much like apple anymore, and requires alot more time to condition.

addition opinions on here range from table sugar, brown sugar, honey....to DME and LME. I personally like DME and some steeped 60L added to it. My last batch had a SG of 1.060 with 1/2lb DME and 1/4lb 60L (steeped) added per gallon of juice. Turned out awesome.

Alright, I think I'll try that. I have some DME on hand. So I'll try half a pound of DME with my 1 gallon of cider. Put a camden tablet in overnight, then pitch some s-04. Watch it until it's at .015 - .020 and then add another tablet and toss it in the fridge for a few days?

Then bottle and not worry about the possibility of bottle bombs. How long should I let it sit? 2 weeks? 1 month?

If you use DME, use US05 - not S04. S04 is great for ciders but US05 works a lot better with DME - it will more like an apple beer than a cider, but still pretty good. Notty is OK with DME but not as good as US05

Ok, well being that I want to make this more appley tasting. How about .6 lbs of honey w/ S04. Otherwise what type of sugar would you add?

Back