This weather sucks!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
Ok so I have no idea what is going to happen with my beer..

The first couple days it fermented very vigorously but as it slowed the temp in the house also dropped, it was 59 the other morning and I did not notice any bubbles. This was day 4..

So I put it in a warm water bath to get the temp up, I sanitzed the lid and my spoon and stired the yeast back into suspension. London ale, Highly flocculant. It has since been bubbling slowly again. I only noticed about an 1" crud ring which seems very small.

Then last night my tiny heater that was maintaining 68* decided to stay on and my temp this am was 80*, I turned the heat off.

At this point I'm not even that concerned about off flavors, I just don't know if I will even have beer or just sweet wort. Should I test with the hydrometer and repitch some yeast?

Test it (SG and taste test). It was probably mostly done at day 4, which means you shouldn't have much trouble with off flavors, even though it got warmer later. An old quilt is a good thing this time of year. It damps out the temperature variations.

I'm hoping the yellow jacket season is almost done. A few more 40F nights and some cold rain & I'll be able to brew & BBQ without the ack-ack guns!

That is what I'm hoping as well. I'll give it a test here and see. this is my first time doing the AG porter so maybe the krausen won't be huge like my big Scotch or the Berry beer.

Thanks

Back