Chocolate beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyboy

Reaction score
Well chocolate seems to be a popular addition to stouts and even when no chocolate is added some beers resemble or have flavor similar to chocolate.

The Spanish conquistadors found the Aztec king drinking the first form of chocolate known as xocolatl . They made some sort of chocolate drink that I believe was fermented to make chocolate beer. Dogfish head is trying to replicate it.

I know the oils in chocolate make it a poor candidate for fermentation but does anyone have any idea of how to go about making an alcoholic beverage where the only or primary adjunct is chocolate?

Coca has no sugar chocolate is mostly sugar.
These are the ingredients in different types of chocolates.

Dark chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, and (sometimes) vanilla
Milk chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, milk or milk powder, and vanilla
White chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, milk or milk powder, and vanilla

Coca has no sugar chocolate is mostly sugar.
These are the ingredients in different types of chocolates.

Dark chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, and (sometimes) vanilla
Milk chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, milk or milk powder, and vanilla
White chocolate: sugar, cocoa butter, milk or milk powder, and vanilla

that cocoa butter is what makes it so tricky to use chocolate in beer. it's an oily mess.

Theobroma | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales is the dogfish beer you were referring to.

I know the oils in chocolate make it a poor candidate for fermentation but does anyone have any idea of how to go about making an alcoholic beverage where the only or primary adjunct is chocolate?

You could make some hot chocolate, and then add some vodka.

Honestly, the additives in the chocolate you mentioned just don't sound good in a fermentation. Stout and other beers have coccoa powder added for the chocolate flavor, although I've heard a few people say they're going to try adding shaved bittersweet chocolate. I've never heard of any positive results, though. Of course, I hate chocolate in any form, so I might be biased!

Pure chocolate comes from cocca beans. The "chocolate" you mentioned is a candy, made from pure chocolate but of course with other additives. I doubt the Aztecs had anything similiar to what you are calling chocolate.

Of course, pure cocca is very bitter.

You could make some hot chocolate, and then add some vodka.

Of course, I hate chocolate in any form, so I might be biased!

:off:

How can you hate chocolate:confused: Oh well don't worry I have been consuming your share for years:D Come to think of maybe you are why I consume so much:rockin: ROFLOL

Back