Which is better - Wyeast or White Labs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilbert

Reaction score
Simple question and I'm sure this is a matter of preference but my LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast.

Is there really any difference between the two brands?

Sure - they use different packaging, probably use slightly different propagation techniques, and while there is a lot of overlap, each offers yeast strains the other doesn't.
The quality of the yeast is great in either case. I use both, as well as dry yeast, to spread my non-existent wealth around between the various companies.

Their yeast strains are somewhat different, but both are equally good. Recently I seem to have mostly been using White Labs, but there's no real reason for that: in the past I've used Wyeast and been very happy with that too.

I'll give you an example. The following chart shows one mans experience and opinions on yeast comparison. Probably the best research you can find on comparing the two brands:

Yeast Strains

It states that the following yeasts are the same:
WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast & 2112 California Lager Yeast

I've found the WLP810 to be much more spicy, whereas the 2112 is much cleaner. I use both, depending on what I want in my steam beers or pseudo-lagers.

My first LHBS I used for 3 years only carried Wyeast. I've never had problems, so I just stick with them. I like the smack pack too. Built in yeast nutrient at the correct proportions for when I pitch into my starter.

I detest smack packs :mad:, so I try to use white labs exclusively!!!!
The smack pack is a far superior package. It comes with high quality nutrients built into it which allow you to check viability and have some extra nutrients in your starter. I also like how it has date manufactured on the package instead of a "use before" date so I don't have to do any math.

That said, I will use whoever has the strain that I want since they are both fantastic companies. But if both offer the same strain I always go with Wyeast for the packaging.

Not a whole lot of math...it expires four months after the manufacture date. It's the same for the other package, except you add instead of subtract.

:drunk:

Neither is superior. They both have their qualities and they both have different yeast strains (even slight variations between strains.)

Not a whole lot of math...it expires four months after the manufacture date. It's the same for the other package, except you add instead of subtract.
Although this is true, it is not marked anywhere on the pack that the manufacture date is 4 months prior to the expiration date. It took me like 8 months to learn that, it's not a problem but they could have been more clear about it.

In my previous brewing life I always used smack packs and that was before I'd ever heard of the big 'Activator' smack packs. Now I've used both brands and don't have a preference...they're both good imo.

I have heard that the smack pack allows one to check for viability but to be honest...I've never had one fail (i.e. not ferment my beer) and I've had several that didn't swell by the time I was ready to pitch it into the starter. But I pitched it anyway (as I imagine 99.9% of people would do) and it went fine. So while you could use it for that...I doubt very many do.

One thing that is a bit weird is that certain strains are supposed to be the same strain (per other websites not related to either brand...like this one). But when you look at each mfr's numbers for AA%, flocc, temps, etc. they are different...sometimes at the opposite ends of the spectrum. For example, look at WY2206 (Bavarian Lager) vs. WLP820 (Oktoberfest/Marzen). That comparison site says they're the same Weihenstephan 206 strain but look at the AA%...the high AA% for the White Labs yeast is the low for the Wyeast yeast. FWIW, I just racked my Vienna using the WLP820 and it's already past 73% at 15 days...pitched cold.

My LHBS only stocks White Labs, and I've been really pleased with them. In the last couple of weeks I've used two expired vials of White Labs yeast (both about 4 months past their dues dates) and both took off within 24-30 hours of pitching. The WL380 I used took my hefe from 1.069 - 1.014 in about 5 or 6 days.

The attenuation numbers are based on a standard wort that the yeast ferments. I doubt that White Labs and Wyeast use the same exact standard wort.

It's all subjective. I don't pay attention to the recommended temperature range at all.

Also, i've used vials without starters FAR past their expiration without any problems. And if you're unsure, just make a starter.

1. Some of the yeast strains are identical.
2. Some are rather different.
3. The packaging is very different.

You'll never sort facts from opinion, except on #3 and that's entirely personal preference.

Latest posts

Back