Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamadoh

Reaction score
Hey All,
I am working on my first partial mash recipe. I am using mostly stuff I have on hand but need to get a few things from the LHBS and would like some advice on my recipe before I pick up everything. Its a honey porter and so far its looking like this
3 lbs 2 row
3/4 lbs crystal 40
3/4 lbs chocolate malt
1/2 lbs black patent malt
1/2 lbs munich
4 lbs pale LME
1 oz centennial at 10% (60 mins)
1/2 oz cascade at 5.5% (20 mins)
and a flame out addition of 2 lbs honey.

Any advice or thoughts on the recipe and how balanced it is etc... will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

that all looks good to me. only thing i might change is the cascade hops, you could try willamette. and also go to an extra light lme and change your crystal 40 to crystal 60. this will give you a better color, and a little more head retention. the willamettes have a little more aroma character thanthe cascades. but like i said, that recipe looks great. you could try it both ways and see what you think. happy brewing!!!!

Thanks abunch. I was using the cascade since I had them leftover from a previous brew but may pick up an ounce of wilamette while I am at the store. I adapted this from an all grain recipe I found on line and changed the grains to meet some of what I had on hand but wanted to make sure it was balanced fairly well. Its only my 8th brew and second partial mash so I am still a little unsure of what works in what recipes. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Back