The 'Keezer' Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERY nice, Jester and Red. I had high expectations when you posted your concept idea, and you've beated every expectation I had. This thing looks DROP DEAD GORGEOUS and your handiwork and attention to detail are shining through. A+ WORK, GUYS! :fro:

this is very inspirational. Im glad to see someone doing this and documenting everything. Keep up the good work :)

Well, it still needs plumbing (only one tap is hooked up), some electrical, and of course the bottom cabinet still needs to be done, but for the short term, it's operational!!

KeezerTop.jpg

KeezerLove.jpg

A PLUS guys! A Picture is worth a thousand words - or sometimes a hundred thousand!

That Keezer is very nice. Very very nice. I would say beautiful, but Red deserves that moniker, not the Keezer.

A completely fantastic job. That keezer will be a nice addition to any room in the house.

Thanks for taking the time to share the pictures with the rest of us.

What is the next project?

Cake

Well, it still needs plumbing (only one tap is hooked up), some electrical, and of course the bottom cabinet still needs to be done, but for the short term, it's operational!!

kinda like the death star... not finished construction but operational?

deathstar_2.jpg

DUN DUN DUNNNNN DUN DA DUN, DUN DA DUNNNNNNN....

Made some more headway on the Keezer today. Tore it all down to get the base finished - man, that sucked!

Here is the dolly, upside down obviously! The thing in the middle is the fan that will draw air up from the bottom and force it up the sides and out the gap between the top of the walls and the overhanging trim on the lid.

OpenDuct.jpg

Here it is with the luan bottom on it

ClosedDuct.jpg

Here is a closeup of the fan - the trim ring has not been installed yet, it's just there to check clearances.

FanCloseup.jpg

If I didn't know better I'd say you were building an air-hockey table that serves beer. :D

Seriously though, great stuff. Shall I assume that only three sides are being ventilated because the back side is not getting paneled?

If I didn't know better I'd say you were building an air-hockey table that serves beer. :D

Seriously though, great stuff. Shall I assume that only three sides are being ventilated because the back side is not getting paneled?

Damn! Wish I'd thought of that! Maybe Keezer 2.0 :D

And you are correct - no paneling on the back.

:mug:

Getting started on my own kegerator. My real work is suffering because of all the ideas I'm finding on the internet. I would say this is one of the coolest designs I've seen and would like to emulate it a little. But I have one question. How difficult is it to get the top on and off to get kegs exchanged? Or is it attached to the lid, and if so, did you have to get bigger hinges? That stone can't be light?

Getting started on my own kegerator. My real work is suffering because of all the ideas I'm finding on the internet. I would say this is one of the coolest designs I've seen and would like to emulate it a little. But I have one question. How difficult is it to get the top on and off to get kegs exchanged? Or is it attached to the lid, and if so, did you have to get bigger hinges? That stone can't be light?

The top is indeed attached to the lid, and it's pretty damn heavy, but the hinges don't seem to have a problem with the extra load. Of course, the springs are no where near strong enough to hold it open, so I have a prop I put in when moving kegs around.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you need photos of specific details.

Cheers :mug:

And welcome to HBT!!

The top is indeed attached to the lid, and it's pretty damn heavy, but the hinges don't seem to have a problem with the extra load. Of course, the springs are no where near strong enough to hold it open, so I have a prop I put in when moving kegs around.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or if you need photos of specific details.

Cheers :mug:

And welcome to HBT!!

Thanks, I did see a picture of it propped open in another thread (after I posted the question). Here is my plan (only in my head at this point). I only have a 5 cu.ft. freezer. I'm going to put it on casters so I can move it. What I think will be unconventional on mine is to put the faucets on the back of the freezer (through the collar). I'm also thinking about adding cabinets on either side that will be open from the back (to store CO2 tank, etc). Hopefully this will also help to alleviate the problem of heat build up. My hopes with this design are that I will have a nice looking "island" bar that people can sit around the front and sides, while I can serve beer from the back. When people aren't over I can move it back against a wall with just enough space to get at the taps for a beer after work. In most designs I've seen with the taps on the collar, they are in front which doesn't really allow for people to sit around and play cards or whatever. I think for the top I'll make something that is not permanently affixed to the lid, but can be lifted off. My only concern about the functionality of this design is wether the tap handles will be in the way when opening the freezer lid. I've also thought about putting a tower above one of the cabinets to solve the problem of the lid/tap, but I just don't feel like dealing with a tower right now. Guess I should start taking pictures of the project!

So a small update. I added the internal ducting to control the distribution of air capacity, and in a wonderfully unplanned occurrence they ended up perfectly lined up to the side vent walls.

Ductwork.jpg

Next up - finishing the sides!!!

So a small update. I added the internal ducting to control the distribution of air capacity, and in a wonderfully unplanned occurrence they ended up perfectly lined up to the side vent walls.

so apparently that BJ you gave god is working out huh? jk lolz. you are one lucky son of a bee sting.... ;) keezer is lookin so good! :D

Ok, so a question came up in another thread about attaching the top.

From the construction photos, you can see that I used 5/8 ply as the foundation of the top. I drilled two holes through the plywood and down through the lid into the interior of the freezer. I then put in two captive t-nuts in the plywood holes (down from the top). Two long screws can be inserted from the bottom of the lid, up through the plywood, and into the t-nuts embedded in the plywood.

A4J, let me know if that doesn't answer it for ya! :mug:

Thanks Jester. It answered my question. :D

I'm trying to draw up my plans in SketchUp and I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by.

Again, great work! :mug:

You know, you should use this thread to advertise for a paying membership for non paying members.......or not :)

Frickin' stellar Jester. :rockin:

Now I have new plans for my bar room. Just gotta get my freezer back from my brother.

Well done, sir. Well done.

Hey everybody! I'm a long time reader, first time poster. :)

Everything looks fantastic, Jester! My question for you, though, is how are you running your lines from the kegs to the taps? Did you drill a hole through the lid of the freezer? I've read over this thread a few times now and that's the last thing that I just can't seem to wrap my head around.

As an aside, I've been reading this forum for a few months and just started my second-ever batch of brew earlier today! This site is a great source of info. of anything and everything brew related and once I can scrounge up a few extra bucks I'll try to become a paying member! (Still a poor college student at the moment...)

Again, thanks for sharing your build! :mug:

Hey everybody! I'm a long time reader, first time poster. :)

Everything looks fantastic, Jester! My question for you, though, is how are you running your lines from the kegs to the taps? Did you drill a hole through the lid of the freezer? I've read over this thread a few times now and that's the last thing that I just can't seem to wrap my head around.

Hey, welcome to HBT! (officially, now that you have posted and all :D )

I will get some additional photos today, but yes there are two square holes in the lid at either end of the insulated 'loop' - one for beer lines going to the taps, and one to force cool air through the loop.

:mug:

Yours turned out way better than mine did. Of course mine is more of the penny savers version lol. No stone or lights for me. I went with a cheap false granite laminate too keep the weight down. I wish I had more tools than a few screw drivers and a chop saw too! No joke I had to measure a few cuts with string hahah.

I am curious though, what specifically did you insulate the tap box with? fiberglass, green friendly blow-in insulation, styrofoam.....? I noticed you had some duct work in there when I was looking at your 3D model, but i didn't see what you are using to pump air up and into the box. (the tap box, not the fan to pull air along the sides of the kreezer)

Again great job on the kreezer! Looks amazingly delicious :mug:
I think I'll have to post pics of mine on the "show us your kegerator" thread

Back