Which way to go: electric or gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedIdiot

Reaction score
So I am starting to get more serious about brewing beer. I've got four 2.5gal batches under my belt, and I've got the ingredients for my first two 5gal batches sitting there waiting to be brewed (a hefe and a raspberry wheat).

I am starting to collect equipment as I can. Here is what I already have:

several aluminum boil pots 2-4ish gallons
2x 6gal better bottles
2x 3gal ported better bottles
2x 2.5gal Mr. Beer fermenters
1x Bottling bucket with spigot
2x 5gal corny kegs with sanke coupler
1x 20lb CO2 tank

Obviously some other odds and ends like racking cane, hydrometer, refractometer, bottle washer, drying tree, sanitizer, etc etc etc.

After work I am going to pick up a 15.5gal keg, which I am planning on using as a future boil kettle (need to cut the top out and add a drain spigot/thermometer/etc).

Saturday or Sunday I will probably be picking up another 15.5gal keg, which someone decided to turn into a lamp. It is as ugly as it sounds. I will have to cut the top out of this one to remove the lamp post, and it already has a "pinky-size" hole in the side towards the bottom for the electrical cord.

Tomorrow after work I am going over to another brewers house to see what all he has for sale. Should be several pin lock and ball lock kegs, a couple 5gal glass fermenters, a homemade chiller, and some other things. I will probably buy everything I can use, assuming I have the funds.

My thread title pertains to where I go from here. I will most likely have two 15.5gal keggles to work with, probably as a HLT and BK. I am considering getting a 10gal cooler from Home Depot to convert to a MLT.

Using this setup, I'm trying to decide which of three options it would be better to start off with:

1. A simple propane burner or two, for heating strike water and boiling in the keggle.

2. Get a little more into gas and hook up some natural gas burners on a DIY stand (I have natural gas supply in my house/on my deck), which would be cheaper on the gas, but probably not in initial costs.

3. Go all electric. I have a 50amp 240v line running from its own breaker box in the laundry/storage area to an outlet in the garage. I could build a bench brewing area in the laundry room, and run from the breaker straight to a spa panel there (permits and inspections), or use the outlet in the garage, and set up an outlet plugged spa panel in the garage (no permits since not a permanent installation). Probably most expensive option as far as initial set up is concerned, but probably cheapest in terms of energy usage.

This is where I'm stuck. I see that most people just use propane burners, they're cheap, easy to use, small, and portable, and they work.

Others have gone with natural gas, which I like the idea of, since I already have lines to tap into.

But then I look at the electric builds, and my jaw just drops. Considering I've got a dedicated 50amp outlet in the laundry/garage not being used, it seems like I have a perfect reason to dive into electric.

Cost is an issue. I am on a very tight budget as far as brewing equipment goes. My wife is tolerant of my hobby so far, but she doesn't like me spending a lot of money all at one time. I don't want to be stuck brewing small batch/extracts on the kitchen stove for too much longer, but I don't want to invest in propane burners if I'm just going to end up going all-electric anyways.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to put off doing larger AG batches while I save up for an all-electric setup, or should I just get some propane burners and not worry about the electric for a few months/years? :confused:

p.s. wow. I just scrolled to the top, and realized how long of a post this is. Sorry to those who've actually managed to make it this far.

Natural gas. It's the best of both worlds. Electricity is incredibly cheap and efficient, but the initial outlay is tough/expensive. Propane burners (with tiny tanks) is cheap right away, but rapidly gets expensive if you swap them (rather than refill). Natural gas is super cheap and if you choose your burner right you can use NG at home and LP on the road! I got the Hurricane burner from williams (with propane parts) and the NG orifice. I also added an NG tap in my garage (off the water heater) and a long enough hose to run outside. Total cost was around $200. I can run that burner ALL DAY without a noticeable blip on my gas bill.

if money is an issue i would just get a couple propane burners to start with.. with a keggle you wouldn't have to mod it any further for propane, and you would still be able to use it when you decide to "upgrade" to electric.. this way you can also learn and get comfortable with the AG steps and know a little more about how you would want to design your electric setup.. i've been doing AG for over a year now with 2 keggles, though someday i hope to do an electric setup as well.. i'm comfortable with my process that i know when i have the money (ha, whenever that happens) i know i can build a kickass electric system exactly how i want it

I personally would work on technique and recipes with 5 gal batches before spending a lot of money on an electric setup. I'm 10 5 gal batches in and not yet ready to jump into all grain until I work out more recipes and fermentation and kegging technique. Extract is just so convienant and not that expensive when you factor equipment and time necessary for AG. You could spend thousands and learn that you really aren't drinking that much. That will really pi$$ off wifey. I am focusing on yeast harvesting, starters, wort chilling and kegging to get some pretty good beers. Just my 2 cents

I will say I'm not a BIG beer drinker, although I have been drinking more often since I started brewing. I drink almost daily now, although usually only 2 beers (3 if its a homebrew, they're just so damn good!).

I plan on doing some extract and extract with specialty grain batches to kind of work my way into doing 5gal batches, and then move on to all grain batches once I'm more comfortable with the keggles and whatever heating method I use.

The biggest difference between propane and NG for me is going to be where I brew. For propane, I can brew on the deck, on the front porch, in the driveway. Right now I only have NG accessible in the laundry room and on the deck. I can easily run some NG line over to the garage. It just wouldn't be as easy as propane until I get that run.

ajwillys, I assume this is the burner you're talking about? http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-LOW-PRESSURE-BURNER-NO-STAND-P2677.aspx I was looking at this just earlier today. I have decent woodworking skills, and can build a nice wood stand with metal hardware for burn protection quite easily.

I guess my other question is should I just stick to using 1 keggle and do BIAB until I get the hang of things, or should I try to use the other keggle as well, before I'm able to purchase and convert a cooler for a mash tun?

Only buy the ball lock kegs tomorrow, the pins will be a waste of money. You're only going to be set up for one or the other most likely.

On the gas or electric thing, go natural gas. 2 burners is going to cost you probably $40 each. Maybe a propane tank $40, and $20 per refill depending where you live. You'll easily be over $200 (I'm using Ajwillys number as the estimate). And you'll still have to keep buying propane which adds incremental costs.

Technically you can save some money by not buying the glass carboys tomorrow too, you have plenty of fermenters right now...spend that on a NG setup.

I guess my other question is should I just stick to using 1 keggle and do BIAB until I get the hang of things, or should I try to use the other keggle as well, before I'm able to purchase and convert a cooler for a mash tun?

No need to go BIAB before you go AG. They are really creating the same product done different ways. I would choose one that sounds desireable and just go with it. I've never done BIAB, but after several years of AG I still have no desire to change my method.

I was thinking on passing on the glass carboys, just because they are only 5gal, and I can get 6gal better bottles for less than he's charging for them. I guess they'd be nice for secondaries...

I was planning on only buying the ball locks, but not sure how many he has. I figured I could always resell the pin locks if I didn't need them, or save them for later.

I'm gonna talk to my dad about running a NG line to the garage...

I was thinking on passing on the glass carboys, just because they are only 5gal, and I can get 6gal better bottles for less than he's charging for them. I guess they'd be nice for secondaries...

I was planning on only buying the ball locks, but not sure how many he has. I figured I could always resell the pin locks if I didn't need them, or save them for later.

I'm gonna talk to my dad about running a NG line to the garage...

If you like a lot of big beers and drink enough, get a 5 gal carboy or two. I don't drink big brews like that too often, so I really only bulk age 1 or 2 beers a year and do it in a corny.

ajwillys, I assume this is the burner you're talking about? http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-LOW-PRESSURE-BURNER-NO-STAND-P2677.aspx I was looking at this just earlier today. I have decent woodworking skills, and can build a nice wood stand with metal hardware for burn protection quite easily.
Yep, that's it. I got the stand too, but just because I didn't want to hassle with it. The "no stand" burner also doesn't include the regulator or orifice. I wanted all those parts so, in the end, the savings didn't make sense for me.

Only buy the ball lock kegs tomorrow, the pins will be a waste of money. You're only going to be set up for one or the other most likely.

On the gas or electric thing, go natural gas. 2 burners is going to cost you probably $40 each. Maybe a propane tank $40, and $20 per refill depending where you live. You'll easily be over $200 (I'm using Ajwillys number as the estimate). And you'll still have to keep buying propane which adds incremental costs.

Technically you can save some money by not buying the glass carboys tomorrow too, you have plenty of fermenters right now...spend that on a NG setup.

To be clear, my estimate was for a burner ($110), NG orifice ($8), the parts needed to add an NG tap off a nearby one (maybe $20 at home depot), and the hose to connect the two. YMMV.

If you like a lot of big beers and drink enough, get a 5 gal carboy or two. I don't drink big brews like that too often, so I really only bulk age 1 or 2 beers a year and do it in a corny.

I was mainly interested in them for secondaries, which would mainly be for dry hopping or adding fruit, which I may do with wheat's/hefe's, and IPA's if I get into them.

Yep, that's it. I got the stand too, but just because I didn't want to hassle with it. The "no stand" burner also doesn't include the regulator or orifice. I wanted all those parts so, in the end, the savings didn't make sense for me.
To be clear, my estimate was for a burner ($110), NG orifice ($8), the parts needed to add an NG tap off a nearby one (maybe $20 at home depot), and the hose to connect the two. YMMV.

I'm a big DIY'er, so I'd rather build my own stand around these burners, than just buy them with a stand :p. To each there own.

Don't worry about the prices. I'm more worried about whether or not these burners are worth buying. I like that they can burn either NG or LPG, since I could conceivably take the burner(s) with me to a friends house and just use propane.

Thanks so much for your help guys! I think I'm going to talk to my Dad this weekend about running some NG pipe to the garage, and then maybe start purchasing some supplies...

Have yourself a couple real good boil-over's with sticky extract that burns to the top of your stove, and down into the burners - that will get the wife on board with "expanding" to another area in my experience:)

I'm a big DIY'er, so I'd rather build my own stand around these burners, than just buy them with a stand :p. To each there own.

Don't worry about the prices. I'm more worried about whether or not these burners are worth buying. I like that they can burn either NG or LPG, since I could conceivably take the burner(s) with me to a friends house and just use propane.

Thanks so much for your help guys! I think I'm going to talk to my Dad this weekend about running some NG pipe to the garage, and then maybe start purchasing some supplies...

Oh yeah, I'm definitely a big DIY'er as well. I see where you're coming from.

As for worth buying, I've been very happy with my hurricane and recommend it all the time. It's not the cheapest, but I love how easy it is to convert from NG (what I normally use) to LP (which I do often when I brew at a friends). You need two orifice's, but that's only a few extra bucks. The other thing I like about it is that the low pressure burners are very quiet. You literally can't hear it above the sound of the boil. I'm not sure about all high pressure burners, but I've been around some that are LOUD.

Have yourself a couple real good boil-over's with sticky extract that burns to the top of your stove, and down into the burners - that will get the wife on board with "expanding" to another area in my experience:)

Already had a boilover, right in front of the wife even. My dad called, I answered the phone, and it boiled over...:eek:

Fortunately we have a glass top electric stove, so all I had to do was move the pot, wipe it off, and move the pot back :D.

However, I've already told her what I want to do with gas burners and such, and she doesn't care, as long as i don't spend too much money on it :rockin:.

Well, I picked up the 15gal keg from the guy after work. The smaller one (5gal) I traded him was MUCH nicer... They were both about the same weight. I think the 5gal one I traded him was 5mm SS or something like that...

Anyways, the bottom ring is banged all to hell, not sure if I can straighten it out enough so it doesn't rock slightly or not. We'll see. It does hold pressure, and does have the dip tube and pressure valve still in it. I could fill it, hook up a sanke coupler, and drink out of it if I wanted to. Too bad I'm planning on cutting the top out of it...

The question really depends on how deep into the hobby you want to get...

It comes more in the long run to spend the cash on propane burners, only to eventually upgrade to elec... I really wish i would of just gone right from extract to all grain electric... but its a difficult thing to judge.. yes there are some upfront costs, but if you are really dedicated, think of it as an investment.. spend a bit now, rather than later i suppose...

im more than happy with my simple 30a herms 3 keg system.. it really isnt that large of an investment if u do some homework, source some good deals..etc..

Back