Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddypower

Reaction score
This morning I got a stuck sparge using FlyGuy 10 gallon conversion. The brass plug I used at the end of the hose came off mid sparge and clogged everything up. How does everybody secure that little devil on there? Its not fun draining a whole batch to look for that thing.

Ted

This morning I got a stuck sparge using FlyGuy 10 gallon conversion. The brass plug I used at the end of the hose came off mid sparge and clogged everything up. How does everybody secure that little devil on there? Its not fun draining a whole batch to look for that thing.

I have heard the plug does not work too well. I converted my 5 gallon yesterday for partial mashes, I went high tech and used a small binder clamp on the end of my braid.

I went the alternate route later in the thread and put a "t" like this (only plastic)

BrassT_Eighth_.jpg

and used a 1/2" of rubber tube to attach it to the nipple in there, then I put my braid in a circle and secured it with zip ties...

(also I took the original nylon inner hose and drilled holes all around it, then boiled it for an hour tofree the burrs from drilling it, and ran it back inside the braid....that keeps the braid from collapsing, and allows the braid to fit nicely on the hooked barbs of the "T")

Thanks for the reply guys.
Revvy, do you use the round or rectangular cooler? I like the idea of a circular braid but I have a rectangular cooler and don't know if a round braid would work in there.

Ted

Thanks for the reply guys.
Revvy, do you use the round or rectangular cooler? I like the idea of a circular braid but I have a rectangular cooler and don't know if a round braid would work in there.

Ted

Oh I thought you said you used Flyguys design, so I assumed you used the round cooler as well....

Hmmm....if I were using a rectangular cooler I think I would go for a copper or cpvc manifold with slits in the bottom rather than a small braid...

Latest posts

Back